Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Better off without Mauer?

A place to discuss the MN Twins
Hornets

Re: Better off without Mauer?

Post by Hornets »

Don't you Mauer haters take my word for it....

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/is-j ... t-of-time/
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Jayson Stark @jaysonst
13 Nov 2018
Replying to @PhilMackey
.Joe Mauer is a Hall of Famer. And I'm not from Minnesota.

His 10 seasons as a catcher were pretty much unprecedented in the history of catching.

Like Ernie Banks, he wasn't a HOF first baseman. But look at the totality of his career!
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Mark my words there's no chance in hell lazy ass, looking to take a day off anytime he could get one, soft, no work ethic Joe Mauer is going into the Hall of Fame. The writers have not voted in Thurman Munson and Ted Simmons, Don mattingly to the Hall of Fame... there's no way in hell Lil Joe is getting in. :lol:

End of thread.
Last edited by D_H on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

D_H wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 pm Mark my words there's no chance in hell lazy ass, looking to take a day off anytime he could get one, soft, no work ethic Joe Mauer is going into the Hall of Fame. The writers have not voted in Thurman Munson and Ted Simmons to the Hall of Fame... there's no way in hell Lil Joe is getting in. :lol:

End of thread.
Did Joe beat you up in an ally one day? Not sure where your misguided anger is coming from, but it is REALLY clouding your vision on this one. Munson and SImmons were pretty darn good....I'm pretty sure Joe's stats were better than theirs......hey, why don't you google that and see if I'm right!
D_H

Post by D_H »

Hornets wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:04 pm
D_H wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 pm Mark my words there's no chance in hell lazy ass, looking to take a day off anytime he could get one, soft, no work ethic Joe Mauer is going into the Hall of Fame. The writers have not voted in Thurman Munson and Ted Simmons to the Hall of Fame... there's no way in hell Lil Joe is getting in. :lol:

End of thread.
Did Joe beat you up in an ally one day? Not sure where your misguided anger is coming from, but it is REALLY clouding your vision on this one. Munson and SImmons were pretty darn good....I'm pretty sure Joe's stats were better than theirs......hey, why don't you google that and see if I'm right!
Don mattingly not in the Hall of Fame either there's no way Joe's in
D_H

Post by D_H »

Fred McGriff and Steve Garvey are not in Hall of Fame sorry Joe Mauer apologist it's not going to happen he's not going to be a Hall of famer :lol:
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

D_H wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:05 pm
Hornets wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:04 pm

End of thread.
Don mattingly not in the Hall of Fame either there's no way Joe's in
LOVED Mattingly....BUT let's remember, Joe is going to get in because of what he did as a catcher so comparing him to otha's does nothing. Mattingly tailed off the last handful of years in his career like Joe, do you hate him also?
D_H

Post by D_H »

Dave Parker not in the Hall of Fame

Lol

Give it up dude Joe mauer's not going to the Hall of Fame !! LOLOL
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Crazy stat I just found on our way to DC for Bryce Harper’s homecoming:

According to @baseball_ref, only 3 catchers who played after 1947 have a lifetime batting average .300.

Mike Piazza (.308) Joe Mauer (.306) Buster Posey (.305)
D_H

Post by D_H »

sorry joey apologist ..but if Thurman Munson isn't Hall of Fame there's no way in hell Little Joe mauer's getting in the Hall of Fame. His resume is 10 times better than Little Joe Mauer. LMAO

7 time all star 2 time world champion 2 time gold Glover

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurman_Munson

Box!!!

End of thread time to move on boys and girls.. :lol:
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Molina, HOF worthy? Maybe not.
-Yadier Molina: WAR 38.9, OBP .334, SLG .405, OPS+ 99, HR 146
-Russel Martin: WAR 37.2, OBP .349, SLG .399, OPS+ 101, HR 185

Adding Joe Mauer for perspective
-Joe Mauer: WAR 55, OBP .388, SLG .439, OPS+ 124, HR 143

Avg WAR for HOF catchers is 54.3
D_H

Post by D_H »

D_H wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:20 pm sorry joey apologist ..but if Thurman Munson isn't Hall of Fame there's no way in hell Little Joe mauer's getting in the Hall of Fame. His resume is 10 times better than Little Joe Mauer. LMAO

Box!!!

Bump

Not going to happen Joe mauer's not close to Hall of famer
Jack Hoff

Post by Jack Hoff »

218BECFB-588B-42C0-A7FF-B724BEDCD8E5.jpeg
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

D_H wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:24 pm
D_H wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:20 pm sorry joey apologist ..but if Thurman Munson isn't Hall of Fame there's no way in hell Little Joe mauer's getting in the Hall of Fame. His resume is 10 times better than Little Joe Mauer. LMAO

Box!!!

Bump

Not going to happen Joe mauer's not close to Hall of famer
Solid bit!
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

D_H wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 pm Mark my words there's no chance in hell lazy ass, looking to take a day off anytime he could get one, soft, no work ethic Joe Mauer is going into the Hall of Fame. The writers have not voted in Thurman Munson and Ted Simmons, Don mattingly to the Hall of Fame... there's no way in hell Lil Joe is getting in. :lol:

End of thread.
Aren't you the guy who said Baker Mayfield is another Manziel and would be out of the league in 5 years?
Ron Burgundy 4 President

Post by Ron Burgundy 4 President »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:30 pm
D_H wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 pm Mark my words there's no chance in hell lazy ass, looking to take a day off anytime he could get one, soft, no work ethic Joe Mauer is going into the Hall of Fame. The writers have not voted in Thurman Munson and Ted Simmons, Don mattingly to the Hall of Fame... there's no way in hell Lil Joe is getting in. :lol:

End of thread.
Aren't you the guy who said Baker Mayfield is another Manziel and would be out of the league in 5 years?
Not sure, but I do know that Clunk said that Mitch Liedner would be a 1st round pick and an awesome NFL QB.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

Tony Bongwater wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:50 pm
zeitgeist wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:44 pm
Tony Bongwater wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:34 pm

He never once drove in a hundred runs... never... and only broke over 75 RBI's 4 times. He had more than 13 home runs once. Those are extremely average numbers for a guy with his ability and potential.
Mauer was an exceptional hitter from the catcher position, and he was a very good defensiveman at least for a few years. You're simply looking at statistics that people cared the most about 50 years ago, our understanding has evolved. It's that similar type of thinking that lead to Mike Trout only having 2 MVPs. He should have at least 4.
Yeah, I care about runs... the thing that wins games. Your advanced stats can dance around anything youd like... you still need to score more runs than the other team, and Mauer was very, very subpar in that category. He was a very good catcher... while he was a catcher. Once he moved to 1st any value he had was gone. You simply cannot have a 1st baseman who hits 9 homeruns and knocks in 57 RBI's.
I care about runs too, it just so happens that they are very team dependent so when you use them to judge individuals it can leave your analysis lacking. I care about runs from a team perspective, less so from an individual perspective.

Mauer was exceptional at the most important skill as a hitter, getting on base. We're talking about a guy who had an .873 OPS during his 9 year prime, from the catcher position! That's damned good. He had his flaws, certainly when he moved to first he was far removed from his best playing days but when he was still a catcher he was very good.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
zeitgeist

Post by zeitgeist »

JPM wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:38 pm you guys debating if Joe Mauer is a HOFer? He won 3 batting titles and an MVP..... as a catcher. He has 50% more WAR than Harold Baines who took 22 seasons to accumulate it and is in the HOF.
He has a higher WAR than Kirby as well.
mlhouse wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm Einstein has his area of expertise, I have mine.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Ron Burgundy 4 President wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:08 pm
feekdogg wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:30 pm

End of thread.
Not sure, but I do know that Clunk said that Mitch Liedner would be a 1st round pick and an awesome NFL QB.
Never once said that. A couple writers did. I did tell you Kaepernick was going to crash and crash hard. Also told you josh freeman was awful while having a decent season with Tampa.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Sorry Homers Thurman Munson who played for the Yankees and died tragically at the age of 32 is not getting in ....rest assured Little Joe Mauer isn't getting in. Bet the farm on it kids. LMAO

Munson was a seven-time All-Star, two-time world champion, 3-time gold lover.

Munson had a career .357 batting average in the postseason with three home runs, 22 RBI and 19 runs scored.

Face reality Lil Joey's is NOT getting in.

Last edited by D_H on Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
D_H

Post by D_H »

zeitgeist wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:53 pm
JPM wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:38 pm you guys debating if Joe Mauer is a HOFer? He won 3 batting titles and an MVP..... as a catcher. He has 50% more WAR than Harold Baines who took 22 seasons to accumulate it and is in the HOF.
He has a higher WAR than Kirby as well.
WAR lol

No one in their right mind thinks Joe was better than Kirby. Jesus Christ get off the crack.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

Brandon Warne @Brandon_Warne
8h

The strangest thing is that Twins fans get mad when the team starts a catcher who “can’t hit” or “can’t field” but also didn’t appreciate the one they had who could do both amazingly for nearly a decade.

It’s almost like — and hear me out — people just wish to be mad.
jakazz30

Post by jakazz30 »

JPM wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 pm Brandon Warne @Brandon_Warne
8h

The strangest thing is that Twins fans get mad when the team starts a catcher who “can’t hit” or “can’t field” but also didn’t appreciate the one they had who could do both amazingly for nearly a decade.

It’s almost like — and hear me out — people just wish to be mad.

When was the LBJ a catcher again?

The point being made is pathetic.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Everybody appreciated Joe as a catcher, except maybe DH.
Seenin

Post by Seenin »

Mauer is a good local guy but lets be honest he never had a killer instinct and his bloated contract killed us for a decade. I base all this off cost vs reward. Did he only win like 3 playoff games his whole career?
Steam:Seenin
Xbox:Seenin
Discord:SirFucksworth
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

Seenin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:27 pm Mauer is a good local guy but lets be honest he never had a killer instinct and his bloated contract killed us for a decade. I base all this off cost vs reward. Did he only win like 3 playoff games his whole career?
1 in his rookie season in 04' and he was injured for that series. 06', 09' and 10' were the only other times that the Twins made it further than a play in game and all 3 of those were sweeps.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

D_H wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:33 pm Joe will never be in the Hall of Fame take it to the bank and deposit it. He was known as a soft player who looked for any way to take a day off and voters remember that.

He had one good productive year when he was juicing other than that it was about eight home runs, 55 RBIs, and about 60 runs scored. :lol: :lol: :lol:

HOF :lol:
I put it in bank but the check bounced.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

End of thread.
:naners:
D_H

Post by D_H »

JPM wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:17 pm

End of thread.

Lol

https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/01/04/ ... on-it/amp/
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

D_H wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:44 am
JPM wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:17 pm

End of thread.

Lol

https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/01/04/ ... on-it/amp/
Ever get tired of being wrong, you fucking Dick Head?