Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What are you playing right now?

Video game themed message board
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***

Re: What are you playing right now?

Post by Abe Froman »

Yeah, so... Balder's Gate 3 is hands down the game of the year. I am fuck'n loving this game
I made this!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:56 pm Yeah, so... Balder's Gate 3 is hands down the game of the year. I am fuck'n loving this game
Now you know why I bought a Steamdeck for it, aaaand a XBox 4 for Starfield.

The first ones are still better man. I'm telling you
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:02 am
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:56 pm Yeah, so... Balder's Gate 3 is hands down the game of the year. I am fuck'n loving this game
Now you know why I bought a Steamdeck for it, aaaand a XBox 4 for Starfield.

The first ones are still better man. I'm telling you
I'll pick them up too
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I made it through Baldur's Gate III. It's a very good game. They do a pretty damn good job of giving you satisfying wrap ups with how you played. With so many possible permutations. It still felt like my story was played out. Especially with the epilogue stuff where you get to touch base with all the companions again.

9.5/10
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

YBBR wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:19 pm I made it through Baldur's Gate III. It's a very good game. They do a pretty damn good job of giving you satisfying wrap ups with how you played. With so many possible permutations. It still felt like my story was played out. Especially with the epilogue stuff where you get to touch base with all the companions again.

9.5/10
How long (if ever) until you do a 2nd playthrough? Did you just play, or did you look online for builds and walkthrough help?

I've played the first two a lot over the years.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:34 pm
YBBR wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:19 pm I made it through Baldur's Gate III. It's a very good game. They do a pretty damn good job of giving you satisfying wrap ups with how you played. With so many possible permutations. It still felt like my story was played out. Especially with the epilogue stuff where you get to touch base with all the companions again.

9.5/10
How long (if ever) until you do a 2nd playthrough? Did you just play, or did you look online for builds and walkthrough help?

I usually don't replay games, but I'm kind of still under this games' spell in terms of narrative options and branching paths. Like I've still probably only seen maybe 40% of what is actually in this game. Which is pretty crazy considering I ended my playthrough at 104 hours something like that.

I'm seriously considering rolling another character pretty much right now and seeing another trip through the story taking different options.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:43 pm
Tommy_Hawk wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:34 pm

9.5/10

I usually don't replay games, but I'm kind of still under this games' spell in terms of narrative options and branching paths. Like I've still probably only seen maybe 40% of what is actually in this game. Which is pretty crazy considering I ended my playthrough at 104 hours something like that.

I'm seriously considering rolling another character pretty much right now and seeing another trip through the story taking different options.
Yeah, from what I've been able to tell, you probably could get three playthroughs of this game without seeing too much of the same shit if you tried. For sure one good guy run and one bad guy run. I'm pretty sure I'll replay it when/if it finish it up before summer. I'm still in act 1 and I'm tempted to restart. After watching some shit online, I totally missed some shit that definitely would have made my game better, and I think I probably should have built my character differently as well. It's still a pretty good game though even with having missed a bunch of cool shit
I made this!
Unbiased Observer

Post by Unbiased Observer »

I am finally just playing Elden Ring. The first week was brutal, I am not a great gamer to begin with. Really loving it now.

Never had so many mobs drop on my fucking head, after clearing a catacomb I find myself looking up before I go through every doorway in my own damn house.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:29 pm I am finally just playing Elden Ring. The first week was brutal, I am not a great gamer to begin with. Really loving it now.

Never had so many mobs drop on my fucking head, after clearing a catacomb I find myself looking up before I go through every doorway in my own damn house.
Lol. It can take a bit to learn the ropes of the Souls games. You kind of have to play by the rules they set out and once you learn em then you can fuck around in the margins a bit. Or just know what to expect.
Unbiased Observer

YBBR wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:48 am
Unbiased Observer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:29 pm I am finally just playing Elden Ring. The first week was brutal, I am not a great gamer to begin with. Really loving it now.

Lol. It can take a bit to learn the ropes of the Souls games. You kind of have to play by the rules they set out and once you learn em then you can fuck around in the margins a bit. Or just know what to expect.
I played the first Dark Souls for a while. I think I ended up finding it boring, the dying did not bother me.

After long GTA sessions, I would find myself sizing up every vehicle I saw to steal it. After long AC sessions, I would be looking at every building figuring out how to climb it.

After every ER session I look up through every doorway to make sure there is not an imp or giant hand hanging on something.
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:06 pm
YBBR wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:48 am

I played the first Dark Souls for a while. I think I ended up finding it boring, the dying did not bother me.

After long GTA sessions, I would find myself sizing up every vehicle I saw to steal it. After long AC sessions, I would be looking at every building figuring out how to climb it.

After every ER session I look up through every doorway to make sure there is not an imp or giant hand hanging on something.
There's just enough diabolical enemy placement in those games for you know to expect it, but not often enough it becomes a habit to check your corners. They go just long enough for you to forget about it...then they got ya.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Stil playing Skyrim VR. My companion just jumped on the dragons head and rode it up into the sky while it impaled the beast with a daedric blade about 20 feet off the ground, then came crashing back..been a fun replay on VR, and the sticks. Bows fire fast, and combat is a decent workout.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

BuDG123 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:59 am Stil playing Skyrim VR. My companion just jumped on the dragons head and rode it up into the sky while it impaled the beast with a daedric blade about 20 feet off the ground, then came crashing back..been a fun replay on VR, and the sticks. Bows fire fast, and combat is a decent workout.
What headset do you have? I tried Skyrim on PSVR and it made me want to puke
I made this!
Unbiased Observer

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:19 pm
BuDG123 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:59 am Stil playing Skyrim VR. My companion just jumped on the dragons head and rode it up into the sky while it impaled the beast with a daedric blade about 20 feet off the ground, then came crashing back..been a fun replay on VR, and the sticks. Bows fire fast, and combat is a decent workout.
Try it sober next time you drunk.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Unbiased Observer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:50 pm
I was sober, you asshole.
I made this!
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:54 pm

Skyrim VR drunk does sound kind of fun..

BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Playing on PSVR but hoping they release it on VR2, better resolution but Microsoft and Sony are fighting so not likely.
Abe Froman

Post by Abe Froman »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:39 am
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:54 pm

Skyrim VR drunk does sound kind of fun..
Maybe, but it seems pretty awful sober.
I made this!
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I loaded up Persona 3 Reload. I'm playing through that. It's entertaining, and I like min/max my social stats. First in the midterms! I'm not sure if I'll stick with it for the whole run though. I'm glad it's not nearly as long as Persona 5, which just ran too long and fell short in some areas. Despite how rabid the Persona fans are.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Just bought Fallout 4 GOY on XBOX. Previously played exclusively on PS5. Time to leave the vault once more.
I am a part of all whom I have met. - Alfred the Great

#BaltimoreStrong
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I beat Persona 3 Reload. I ended up liking this a lot more than Persona 5 which I finished a handful of years ago. The characters are actually relatively likeable, at least the main cast, as opposed to Persona 5. It's not as overwhelming and scattershot as 5 is either. I didn't absolutely LOVE it, but it's pretty damn good.

8/10
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

The other thing I've been playing is Balatro and holy hell do I like Balatro. Card based roguelike that is deck building mixed with poker cards and kind of like Yahtzee? It fucking slaps. Huge indie hit right now made by one dude. It's fantastic. Give that a go if it sounds like your thing.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Playing RDR2 for the first time. Blown away with how good it is.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I would probably give Balatro a 9/10. It's stupid addictive and just a really well conceived game. Coming to phones as well soon. A port is in the works for that. Great game.
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

Playing Dying Light 2 and MLB The Show right now.

Still haven't started Baldur Gate 3 though I think it about it daily. I've watched the intro cinematic like 5 times but keep stalling out on character creation. I just don't know where to go with it.

#BaltimoreStrong
Mandatory

Post by Mandatory »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:08 pm Playing RDR2 for the first time. Blown away with how good it is.
IMO, might be best game of all time. Just so deep and polished.

#BaltimoreStrong
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:29 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:08 pm Playing RDR2 for the first time. Blown away with how good it is.
It's definitely the last "classic" good game.

Elden Ring and Cyber Punk are up there but not on its level.

YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:41 pm
Mandatory wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:29 am
It's definitely the last "classic" good game.

Elden Ring and Cyber Punk are up there but not on its level.
I'd take Elden Ring over RDR2 every day of the week!

The controls and pacing of RDR2 are just not what I'm looking for usually. A bit too laborious and slugish. It's a really good game that is not quite suited to my tastes. I generally like things a bit more responsive and snappy.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Hades, I think, is still overall the best game that has come out in the last 5 years that I have played.

It was developed by 20 people. Fucking insane.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

Mandatory wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:28 am Playing Dying Light 2 and MLB The Show right now.

Still haven't started Baldur Gate 3 though I think it about it daily. I've watched the intro cinematic like 5 times but keep stalling out on character creation. I just don't know where to go with it.
You should give Baldur's Gate 3 a go. It's really something else. You can play as an origin character if you want. Its just about role playing a character you think would be cool or fun or whatever. You can change and respec your class and even how your character looks as you play too. So, it's not like it locks you out of making changes.