Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Pitchers and Catchers Report in 30 Days!

A place to discuss the MN Twins
softball guy

Pitchers and Catchers Report in 30 Days!

Post by softball guy »

Love this time of year for baseball chat. New players, new uniforms, renewed hope!
weimy froob

Re: Pitchers and Catchers Report in 30 Days!

Post by weimy froob »

looking forward to the baseball season no matter what. mentioned to hornets to let me know when the pitchers and catchers report in the january rain thread. now i know.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

What pitchers?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

a month away from the first spring training game.
softball guy

Post by softball guy »

I'll be at the game at JetBlu on March 23rd!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:18 pm
I am getting psyched for the season Weimy...how bout you??
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Hornets wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:23 pm
yep. enjoy the grind of the baseball season and hope springs eternal in february/march as well.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:25 pm
yep. enjoy the grind of the baseball season and hope springs eternal in february/march as well.
If this Twins squad somehow stays relatively healthy I think it will be a fun season!
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

weimy froob wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:25 pm
If this Twins squad somehow stays relatively healthy I think it will be a fun season!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Twins pitcher Randy Dobnak seeks to salvage career after freak finger injuries
Dobnak didn't pitch in the majors last season after suffering the second of two finger injuries that aren't all that unusual — if you're a rock-climber.

FORT MYERS, FLA. — Randy Dobnak has a clear memory of the most recent Twins game in which he was engaged. It was last April against the Rays in St. Petersburg.

"My wife and I and some friends drove up and sat in the stands," the 28-year-old righthander said. "We got tickets near the bullpen, and I was chirping at all the guys out there. It was fun."

Just not as much fun as actually pitching, something Dobnak has done in a Twins uniform only once in the past 20 months. But it's something he believes will happen again this season, once he proves he's healthy and effective again.

"I have all the confidence in the world. I know what I'm capable of," Dobnak said. "Just having the opportunity again kind of fuels me."

His once-promising career — "Just two springs ago, he broke camp throwing the ball about as well as anybody we had," recalls Derek Falvey, the Twins president of baseball operations — has been derailed by the tiniest of injuries, to the point where Dobnak isn't even on the 40-man roster anymore.

Two minuscule ligaments called pulleys in his right middle finger, the tissue that anchors the tendons close to the bone, have ruptured over the past two years, an injury common among rock climbers, but exceedingly rare in ballplayers. The result was a sharp pain when he put pressure on that finger — for instance, when throwing a baseball.

"I've watched rock climbers online have it happen, and it sounds like a rubber band snapping," Dobnak said. "Mine didn't do that, but it just started hurting worse and worse."

He couldn't throw his heavy sinker, his best pitch, as effectively in 2021, and finally couldn't pitch at all. Last spring, after a winter of rehabbing the injury, he showed up at spring training camp feeling healthy, "and on the first day, it started hurting in a different spot. We got an MRI on it, it showed nothing wrong, and I was like, 'Damn, they'll think I'm lying,' " Dobnak said. "I played catch again and said, yeah, it does not feel right. We got another MRI, and it was completely ruptured. 'Oh, now it's completely gone.'"

That cost him another entire season, though the pain eased enough by mid-August for him to make 11 appearances in the minors, though with significant control problems. And his finger, though not as flexible or strong as it once was, has been pain-free all winter.

"I think we're way over the hump now. I've been down here for a month. I threw live Friday, that was probably my 10th bullpen," Dobnak said. "I've been slinging it fine."

He's learning to compensate for the damaged finger, and has found a way, for instance, to create more horizontal break on a slider than before, which could be useful. His sinker "is still a work in progress," he said, "but the numbers show it's coming along."

The Twins like those numbers, Falvey said, and expect Dobnak to start the season in St. Paul, re-establishing himself as a viable option for the Twins.

"We're cautiously optimistic that this is a real opportunity for him to get it going again. Right now, the goal is less about getting back to the big leagues right away, and just getting healthy, getting his pitches to do what they did before."

Until then, Dobnak lives with the irony of avoiding common pitching injuries — but succumbing to a rare one.

"At first, I told myself, 'good thing it's not my elbow or shoulder.' But now I wish it was my elbow — [doctors] know how to treat Tommy John [injuries]," he mused. "Maybe I'll get back and they'll name this one after me. 'That guy's hurt, he got the Dobnak last year.'"
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Well our season is saved if Uber is coming of the IL.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Is Kenta active? Any word on his status?

feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

First injury in the books as Jordan Balazovic got his jaw broken in an off-site "altercation".
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:39 pm First injury in the books as Jordan Balazovic got his jaw broken in an off-site "altercation".
Did he get into a fight over a girl with his new catcher (player to be named later)?

DMB

Post by DMB »

feekdogg wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:39 pm First injury in the books as Jordan Balazovic got his jaw broken in an off-site "altercation".

He seems like a wuss to get clocked and not fight back.
Semper Fi
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Split squad to kick off Spring ball. Nick Gordon lead off triple against Baltimore, Austin Martin sac fly for a one-run lead.

Maeda gave up a leadoff double vs. Tampa, but retired the next three.

Championship incoming!
Hoop Dreams

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Joey Gallo - 2 for 2 today!!
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

softball guy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:23 am Love this time of year for baseball chat. New players, new uniforms, renewed hope!
Will the twins have a major league level pitching staff this year?
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i'll just put this here because there is a pitcher and catcher in the vid.

weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

the other side of the coin.

jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

It's comical that it's come to this, but it's the players own damn fault that it has.
Let's get Tropical
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:43 pm It's comical that it's come to this, but it's the players own damn fault that it has.
Yankees–Red Sox rivaly in the 2000's has a lot to do with this. Every game was nationally televised and after every pitch, the batters left the box to adjust their cup. All the guys playing now grew up watching them and began to mimic their dumb idiosyncrasies.

Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

jffl_commish wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:43 pm It's comical that it's come to this, but it's the players own damn fault that it has.
Agreed. There were plenty of .300 hitters and 40 hr guys back when they never stepped out of the box during an at bat. Get up there to see ball, hit ball. They go slow because the game moved that way, not because it's necessary.
Ketchup can be nuancy
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

3 games in the books. Twins have given up 10 runs in 2 of 3.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

feekdogg wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:21 pm 3 games in the books. Twins have given up 10 runs in 2 of 3.
Emergency call to Wes Johnson in play?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Joey Gallo can't escape the shift, even after MLB's ban
The Twins outfielder still had to hit against a shift in spring training