Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

NICKEIL ALEXANDER-WALKER Thread

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
Jimi_Thing

Re: NICKEIL ALEXANDER-WALKER Thread

Post by Jimi_Thing »

SHAFA wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:15 am
mr mort wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:06 am So what’re we thinking, froobs? Is this guy a piece we try to keep
Moving forward?
Of course. Wave bye-bye to Nowell.
Yep NAW is a great fit. If this team is going to be a serious team, they need to jettison players like DLo and Nowell. I’m not hating on Nowell and hope he gets overpaid on a nice contract elsewhere. He’s worked hard to get where he’s at but he’s a defensive liability, inconsistent scorer, that makes stupid plays too often. NAW is legit.
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

NAW has had a great honeymoon on the Wolves' so far, but he's a career sub-40% shooter who's's eventually fallen out of the rotation on both teams he previously played for (New Orleans and Utah), both of whom are rebuilding and should be interested in developing younger players. He seems like an awesome dude and I hope he turns his career around and becomes a fixture here, but I wouldn't count on it yet. Four months ago people were calling Jaylen Nowell the heir apparent to D'Lo at PG and a core player for the future of the franchise. Players' performance fluctuates, especially at the edge of the rotation. NAW seems like he might have more staying power because he's a bigger guard who's shown he can defend at a high level. He also has nice shooting form and a talent for making skip pas. I just wonder why that didn't translate to consistent playing time on his last two teams.
mr mort

Post by mr mort »

mr mort wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:06 am So what’re we thinking, froobs? Is this guy a piece we try to keep
Moving forward?
I’m of the same mind.

Just listened to his post game interview. Seems like a really solid dude who’s happy to be here.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

mr mort wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:23 pm
Moving forward?
I’m of the same mind.

Just listened to his post game interview. Seems like a really solid dude who’s happy to be here.
I’ll admit that I had the entirely wrong perception of him coming in here, but I’m certainly happy to be wrong.
Bullazin

Post by Bullazin »

shuttlesworth wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:18 pm NAW has had a great honeymoon on the Wolves' so far, but he's a career sub-40% shooter who's's eventually fallen out of the rotation on both teams he previously played for (New Orleans and Utah), both of whom are rebuilding and should be interested in developing younger players. He seems like an awesome dude and I hope he turns his career around and becomes a fixture here, but I wouldn't count on it yet. Four months ago people were calling Jaylen Nowell the heir apparent to D'Lo at PG and a core player for the future of the franchise. Players' performance fluctuates, especially at the edge of the rotation. NAW seems like he might have more staying power because he's a bigger guard who's shown he can defend at a high level. He also has nice shooting form and a talent for making skip pas. I just wonder why that didn't translate to consistent playing time on his last two teams.
Plus he can run the offense. SSS but he looks like an upgrade to the rotation, mostly cause he plays D and can hit a 3.
“You realize he reports you just as much as you report him, right? He has some valid complaints as well. I don't like or dislike either of you. I just want you two to shut the fuck up.”
——OG Froob.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I especially liked the part where they said he, "showed considerable chops defensively."
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

somuchyummy wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:51 am
mlhouse wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:00 pm NAW is in the 4th year of his rookie contract. Next year if the Wolves offer him a Qualifying Offer of $7,073,602 he will be a restricted free agent. If they do not offer the QO then Alexander-Walker becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The Wolves and Alexander-Walker can decide on a long term contract that has salary less than the QO.

I don't think he played terribly in New Orleans, averaging 9.9 points/game in an average of 20.4 minutes per game. (17.5/36)

In a much reduced role in Utah he was more selective in his 3 point shooting (averaging more than 8 3 point attempts/36 vs. 5.9 this past season in Utah) and that seemed to really increase his shooting percentage as he was shooting 40.2% from 3 vs. 33% for his career.

I can see acquiring the guy to evaluate as a salary filler in the trade but I think it is a semi-long shot that he is with the team next season.
Moore will still be here next year as a backup wing - and i hope he starts to get more run. he should. but the other backup to Ant IMO will come down to either Nowell or NAW.

I've been a big Nowell bobo - and he's looked really good in the last two games without Dlo on the court (30 and 21 points). but that obviously can't negate all the subpar play we've seen out of him this year - in a year we all expected him to step up and deliver with more regular PT. He's averaged 11.2/ 2.7/ 2.1 in a hair under 20 MPG this year. 45% from the field and 30% from deep. in the past 10 games (which includes his two recent really good games of high efficiency on a lot of shots), he's 12.2/ 3.0/ 2.1 on 49%/36% in just a shade under 20 MPG.

For the season, NAW has gone 6.3/ 1.6/ 2.1 in 14.7 MPG. shooting numbers of 49%/40%. His PT has been pretty paltry in his last ten games, but let's do a comp anyway. 4.6/ 2.8/ 1.6 in just 11 MPG. shooting numbers of 52%/36%.

we know that Nowell can erupt for points and put pressure on a defense. he also can be wildly up-and-down and prone to bonehead plays, along with being a consistently bad and non-committed defender. NAW is a much better defender - with better size to handle both wing spots - and despite not scoring as much, or looking to score as much, his efficiency is pretty much on par with what we're seeing out of Nowell - or better. this reluctance to score shouldn't be viewed entirely in the negative column. most of what we scream at about Jaylen is his frankly ball-hogging nature. we've wanted him to be more a facilitator - but have found him to be pretty me-centric on O. That's not NAW's game - so maybe we should welcome it. we also know that Finch specifically wanted to bring NAW here on this trade. I'll assume the rest of the year will be audition time between the two.

so... what do folks think Nowell will be looking for moneywise as an FA? NAW has a QO for around $7M, but as Mlhouse pointed out, that can (and probably will) be renegotiated to a lesser amount no matter who he plays ball for next year. it's hard to say who i prefer at this point because we've hardly gotten a peek at NAW, but my gut is leaning his way due to the defensive upgrade we'd get without sacrificing anything in terms of efficiency on O. i'm going to guess both players will make similar cash on their next contracts - so that'd be a wash.

fwiw, i think NAW can be convinced to stay here as Ant's backup (along with Moore) for $15M over 3 years. his value increases with the uncertainty of what becomes of Prince after next year - and with NAW's ability to play the 3. Nowell's not a 3 by any stretch.
If NAW is the more consistent player who is also a better defender, that's who I want. I get that explosive outbursts can go a long way but a bad 4 games straight can tank playoff series immediately.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
salamander

Post by salamander »

shuttlesworth wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:18 pm NAW has had a great honeymoon on the Wolves' so far, but he's a career sub-40% shooter who's's eventually fallen out of the rotation on both teams he previously played for (New Orleans and Utah), both of whom are rebuilding and should be interested in developing younger players. He seems like an awesome dude and I hope he turns his career around and becomes a fixture here, but I wouldn't count on it yet. Four months ago people were calling Jaylen Nowell the heir apparent to D'Lo at PG and a core player for the future of the franchise. Players' performance fluctuates, especially at the edge of the rotation. NAW seems like he might have more staying power because he's a bigger guard who's shown he can defend at a high level. He also has nice shooting form and a talent for making skip pas. I just wonder why that didn't translate to consistent playing time on his last two teams.
mmmm yes. rub that ball. For some reason, you come off as one of those guys who has a super deep, soothing voice while you slowly rub that giant red ball. Mhmm.... nap time.
T_J

Post by T_J »

:roll:
BBG

Post by BBG »

This is correct. The little I remember of his game before he got here was not good.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

i think the fact that Finch saw him every day and worked with him when they were both with the Pels - and then specifically asked that he be included in the trade, speaks volumes. i have a feeling that CF has a better handle on the pros and cons of NAW than we do.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

the shine is off the apple. he is what he is. and has been.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
Nickeil Alexander-Walker is shooting 52% on midrange shots for the season (25/48). According to Cleaning The Glass, the only "wing" that has played 1000+ minutes shooting a better is Khris Middleton at 53%.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:13 pm the shine is off the apple. he is what he is. and has been.
he is what he is--and i'd say the shine is back on. he's having a very solid season.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

Love, NAW.
My heart is family.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Hey Cat. Cheers!
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

somuchyummy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:28 am Hey Cat. Cheers!
Hey! Workin my way back. Love seeing Naw get an opportunity to shine. Wondering what was up with Ant tonght though.
My heart is family.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I don’t know if it was in this thread or not, but my initial MAW take was pretty bad. He’s proving himself to be invaluable. You can argue he’s more important than Jaden right now.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:48 am I don’t know if it was in this thread or not, but my initial MAW take was pretty bad. He’s proving himself to be invaluable. You can argue he’s more important than Jaden right now.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:48 am I don’t know if it was in this thread or not, but my initial MAW take was pretty bad. He’s proving himself to be invaluable. You can argue he’s more important than Jaden right now.
My whole take on that trade was essentially bad but it was based on how bad the Wolves played last season.

Anyone who claims they projected this season for the Wolves is a liar. One reason for that is its the same crew back. Same GM. Same coach. Almost the same players. I think it is because I have not watched any games this season so I will continue that trend.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

There was a pretty...stinky...one on the first page, but it wasn't from you.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Give it up for NAW - Sorry Naz, but NAW is Wolves best signing maybe ever

We're gonna need his energy and scoring in the playoffs, cant wait to see this guy continue to develop more confidence in his game.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i think he's got a clutch bone. great shooting performance last night.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

well, right now he's certainly looking more like a starting NBA SF than Jaden is. and maybe that's not the worst idea with KAT out. NAW has been the better scorer - and perhaps Jaden can get some confidence back on O working against our opponents' second stringers.
Last edited by somuchyummy on Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:08 am i think he's got a clutch bone. great shooting performance last night.
There's a reason Ant dubbed him "Gorilla Balls".
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

SHAFA wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:30 am
weimy froob wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:08 am i think he's got a clutch bone. great shooting performance last night.
There's a reason Ant dubbed him "Gorilla Balls".
:lol: :thumbsup:
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

shoteh wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:20 am Give it up for NAW - Sorry Naz, but NAW is Wolves best signing maybe ever

We're gonna need his energy and scoring in the playoffs, cant wait to see this guy continue to develop more confidence in his game.
We traded for him. Is this sarcasm? If not, it's knee jerk.

I always thought it was a good throw in signing at the time, and thought he needed some good coaching.
His D was what intrigued me, but if he can step up like last night a few more times, we may have a keeper.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

NAW really has a knack for hitting timely buckets.
Mplsfonz

Post by Mplsfonz »

somuchyummy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:21 am well, right now he's certainly looking more like a starting NBA SF than Jaden is. and maybe that's not the worst idea with KAT out. NAW has been the better scorer - and perhaps Jaden can get some confidence back on O working against our opponents' second stringers.
I think Jaden O is going the way of Rodman. It's in his head, because the D just lets him shoot. Even his drives he hesitates. I think he's caught between making the right play or doesn't want to screw up. He needs to just attack the rim without thinking.

But his D is what is needed from him, we have plenty of scorers.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

but we're paying for the O as well - that's the rub. you can draft a guy like Ryan Dunn - or put a guy like Thybulle on your roster - but they'll both make considerably less than the 5 yr/$136M that Jaden will be pulling.