Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kessler vs Gobert season stats

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
flexbuffchest

Re: Kessler vs Gobert season stats

Post by flexbuffchest »

T_J wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:26 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:56 am
BBG wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:45 am
It's an excellent place for wolves content if you like that sort of thing.

All I'm saying is, this wasn't some historically bad trade that some are saying it is. There is a lot left to play out.
it was an awful trade.
What they gave up was a haul for someone to take you to the finals. He can play well all this year, if they lose in round 1 again or even round 2, it’s bad.

I suppose a WCF run and a couple playoff outs soften the blow to what you gave up, but it was just an unsightly overpay. I don’t think they were bidding against anyone.
I look at it kinda like this.

It's very rare stars ever play out their entire career on one team and to be completely honest it wouldn't shock me if Ant wanted to go somewhere else after this current contract is up. I hope not but the odds are against him playing here his entire career. Why not do everything we can to try and win during this window we have? A first round pick in 2029 (or a 1st round pick in 2027) does absolutely nothing to help us win with Ant. Even if a player picked with those picks ends up good, they likely wont even become impact players until the 2030's. This is the second time in our history that we have a generational talent on this team and we should do everything we can to win now.

If Ant does end up leaving after this contract and we blow it up then we'll recoup some value at that point in time. What's the worst that can happen? We go back to being the Wolves that we all know and love :no: :lol:
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
OliverMiller

Post by OliverMiller »

It was an overpay by probably 2 1sts, but I don't care. Rudy was a great get to pair with Ant
BBG

Post by BBG »

alright boys, no need to apologize or say you were wrong, let's just rejoice in one of the best trades in wolves history.

Rudy has single-handedly taken the wolves to a new level and all it took was Kessler, some bench players, and a bunch of future picks
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

How one play in Timberwolves' win over Thunder served as a showcase for Rudy Gobert's rejuvenation
Gobert was major disruption for OKC in the fourth quarter

When the Minnesota Timberwolves gave up one of the biggest trade packages ever to acquire Rudy Gobert from the Utah Jazz, they did so with the expectation that they were getting arguably the best defender in the league. In his first year with the club, that was not the case. But it's a different story this season, and that's making all the difference for the first-place Wolves.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how- ... uvenation/
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

In a 20-second span, Gobert closed out three times, contested two shots and made two players reconsider drives to the rim. He also celebrated twice, including a big fist pump in the middle of the possession, which he fully earned.
BBG

Post by BBG »

weimy froob wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:43 pm In a 20-second span, Gobert closed out three times, contested two shots and made two players reconsider drives to the rim. He also celebrated twice, including a big fist pump in the middle of the possession, which he fully earned.
he looks like a different player. His energy, movement, and impact on the opposing offense has changed everything

he must have been really hurt last year or is on roids now
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

BBG wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:35 pm alright boys, no need to apologize or say you were wrong, let's just rejoice in one of the best trades in wolves history.

Rudy has single-handedly taken the wolves to a new level and all it took was Kessler, some bench players, and a bunch of future picks
No need to apologize for being wrong. That’s true. But sometimes folks should apologize for things they said while being wrong (calling other posters idiots, etc.). But those are things you should apologize for when you’re right too.

I do think there’s value in admitting you were wrong, though. It’s a healthy thing.

I’m not calling anyone out in this post either. Just making an observation.

I’ll go: I spent most of the off-season doubting that Rudy, at age 31 would be able to bounce back from his sore back to the degree that he has. That doubt, 17 games in anyway, has been unfounded. That’s me being wrong.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
BBG

Post by BBG »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:11 pm
BBG wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:35 pm alright boys, no need to apologize or say you were wrong, let's just rejoice in one of the best trades in wolves history.

No need to apologize for being wrong. That’s true. But sometimes folks should apologize for things they said while being wrong (calling other posters idiots, etc.). But those are things you should apologize for when you’re right too.

I do think there’s value in admitting you were wrong, though. It’s a healthy thing.

I’ll go: I spent most of the off-season doubting that Rudy, at age 31 would be able to bounce back from his sore back to the degree that he has. That doubt, 17 games in anyway, has been unfounded. That’s me being wrong.
fans
national media
experts
talking heads
wolves twitter
frube chat

bro... everyone freaked the fuck out and overreacted to the trade and a lot of them are having some internal reckoning, that's good enough...no need to apologize

wolves are 1# in the west
best defensive team in the league

the trade was a win

I'm not one to go back pages and bump posts, but that would be a fun exercise on multiple platforms
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

BBG wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:40 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:11 pm

fans
national media
experts
talking heads
wolves twitter
frube chat

bro... everyone freaked the fuck out and overreacted to the trade and a lot of them are having some internal reckoning, that's good enough...no need to apologize

wolves are 1# in the west

the trade was a win

I'm not one to go back pages and bump posts, but that would be a fun exercise on multiple platforms
Right.

My take was that I felt the trade was a gamble, but a reasonable one, but I wanted more protections on those later picks to guard against a disaster season costing us a transformative player. So I didn’t like that. Whether or not that was a legit concern remains to be seen.

- Isaac Asimov
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

BBG wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:40 pm wolves are 1# in the west

the trade was a win
It's a win if we, at the very least, make it to a conference finals. Preferably more than once.

Utah had similar seasons and never made it past the semis. Two years ago they started something like 25-5, had the 1 seed and folded to an undermanned Clippers group.

I'm going to enjoy them playing well while they are, but those reservations still sit in the back of my mind.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

SHAFA wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:54 pm

the trade was a win
It's a win if we, at the very least, make it to a conference finals. Preferably more than once.

Utah had similar seasons and never made it past the semis. Two years ago they started something like 25-5, had the 1 seed and folded to an undermanned Clippers group.

I'm going to enjoy them playing well while they are, but those reservations still sit in the back of my mind.
I think the hope has to be that Jaden and Towns are such a step up compared to what Utah had in those years at the 3/4.
They were not a complete team.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
shuttlesworth

Post by shuttlesworth »

This was one of the most depressing threads of last season. I'm glad I don't have to wince looking at it anymore.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:58 pm
SHAFA wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:54 pm

the trade was a win

I think the hope has to be that Jaden and Towns are such a step up compared to what Utah had in those years at the 3/4.
They were not a complete team.
Yeah, it certainly is. It's looking that way now too, I just hope it translates to the post-season.
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Feels like Rudy is on his way to earning himself DPOY this year. I realize the season is still young but right now he's got to be the clear front runner.

Considering our WC competition in the foreseeable future is gonna be Denver, OKC, Denver, etc., I'm hoping the Wolves can continue to maximize this trade by targeting a 7 footer in the draft to practice with/against and learn from Rudy while he's here.
witljon

Post by witljon »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:02 pm It was an overpay by probably 2 1sts, but I don't care. Rudy was a great get to pair with Ant
How I justified the trade was by rattling off all the poor draft picks we’ve had. I felt the picks Utah will be getting will be in the 20s, so they’ll be just getting average players unless they get lucky. The picks they will be getting should be like the players we sign as free agents, like Brown, Milton, Anderson….no star players.
Roy Kent

Post by Roy Kent »

I'm not one to celebrate too early. I still believe we need to make some real noise in the playoffs for this to be a win. Regular season is for panzies.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:55 am Feels like Rudy is on his way to earning himself DPOY this year. I realize the season is still young but right now he's got to be the clear front runner.

Considering our WC competition in the foreseeable future is gonna be Denver, OKC, Denver, etc., I'm hoping the Wolves can continue to maximize this trade by targeting a 7 footer in the draft to practice with/against and learn from Rudy while he's here.
take a look at some draft assessments of Kentucky's Aaron Bradshaw. hasn't played a minute yet for Kentucky as a freshman - injured. but with that, plus the tendency for defensive bigs to fall, there's IMO a good chance he'll be there for us whereever we finish (i'll guess somewhere in the 20s). Coming out of HS, 247 had him ranked as the #1 Center and 5th overall - ESPN had him also at #1 for his position and 6th overall. Elite rim protecting talent - 7-1 220 7-4 WS, great feel and timing for blocks - plus a growing offensive game. Good mechanics on his shot - i think he's been high 70% for FTs. Might be the perfect young guy for Rudy to work with and to get into the weight room. Right now he's been mocked at the very back end of the first round. So... perfect.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

This Rudy Redemption arc is special

“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

flexbuffchest wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:33 pm This Rudy Redemption arc is special

It's been a real joy to watch this year. Last night again, there were plays on the defensive end that won't ever show up in the stat sheet. Players missing what would be easy shots in the paint because they're rushing to get the ball in the air before Rudy finds out they've entered his area. Love to see it.
witljon

Post by witljon »

bubu dubu. wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:56 am
BBG wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:45 am
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:10 am

Yeah, it's only Wolves twitter. :lol:
It's an excellent place for wolves content if you like that sort of thing.

All I'm saying is, this wasn't some historically bad trade that some are saying it is. There is a lot left to play out.
it was an awful trade.
I don’t agree, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

As I recall I was glad we finally got the defensive rim protecting big people had been clamoring for for years. I had issues with his character in spreading covid as he did. Still do, probably never forgive that. It wasn't just a stupid prank it could have and maybe did kill people. So, he will never be my favorite Wolf.
I guess I had more faith that Connelly would find some gold for us in the second round. Hell, we got Naz undrafted, now look at him. I wasn't thrilled, but I don't remember losing my shit over it.
My heart is family.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

the book has yet to be written. this group is looking pretty good and we could do some damage into the playoffs. some of the picks we give up might be horrible losses to our team growth - or they could all be ordinary joes who we can replace without much fuss. I do think we are positioned right now to not have to rely on draft picks for awhile - but it'll be nice to nail the ones we do have every other year.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
witljon

Post by witljon »

somuchyummy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:11 pm the book has yet to be written. this group is looking pretty good and we could do some damage into the playoffs. some of the picks we give up might be horrible losses to our team growth - or they could all be ordinary joes who we can replace without much fuss. I do think we are positioned right now to not have to rely on draft picks for awhile - but it'll be nice to nail the ones we do have every other year.
You’re right it’s yet to be written, but however it turns out, I was in favor of taken the chance over sitting pat.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:22 pm
somuchyummy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:11 pm the book has yet to be written. this group is looking pretty good and we could do some damage into the playoffs. some of the picks we give up might be horrible losses to our team growth - or they could all be ordinary joes who we can replace without much fuss. I do think we are positioned right now to not have to rely on draft picks for awhile - but it'll be nice to nail the ones we do have every other year.
You’re right it’s yet to be written, but however it turns out, I was in favor of taken the chance over sitting pat.
Whether we get a real finals run out of this team or not remains to be seen. But proof of concept has been established. Nothing that’s happened over the past 18 games is flukey, unrepeatable, or accidental. This IS the plan. It could still go sour. Guys could get hurt or fall into inexplicable slumps or some bizarre personality drama could emerge. But nobody’s doing anything unexpected or that they haven’t done before. Proof of concept has been established.

That wasn’t the case last year. There were still a lot of questions as to whether it could work. We now know it can.

- Isaac Asimov
BBG

Post by BBG »

Kessler came off the bench for a sixth consecutive game Wednesday and was held to a single-digit scoring total for the third time in his last four appearances, but he remained consistent on the boards. Despite operating as a reserve since returning from a seven-game absence, Kessler has been more productive than he was as a starter, as he's averaged 9.8 points and 8.0 rebounds in 25.7 minutes per game over his last six appearances.

Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

Kessler's ceiling is lower that Gobert's floor. I'm not hating on him. I wish him the best and if I'm proven wrong, I'm proven wrong.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:11 pm Kessler's ceiling is lower that Gobert's floor. I'm not hating on him. I wish him the best and if I'm proven wrong, I'm proven wrong.
Their shitty guard situation doesn’t help things.
witljon

Post by witljon »

OliverMiller wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:02 pm It was an overpay by probably 2 1sts, but I don't care. Rudy was a great get to pair with Ant
There’s a good chance those 1st rounders will produce no star players.
Catalyst
***The First Lady of Wolves Chat***

Post by Catalyst »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:02 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:11 pm Kessler's ceiling is lower that Gobert's floor. I'm not hating on him. I wish him the best and if I'm proven wrong, I'm proven wrong.
Their shitty guard situation doesn’t help things.
It's amaxing to see how much more Gobert has to his game now that he doesn't have to be the whole defense while his team stands around and watches. Give him a hard working team that buys into all the defense and suddenly Rudy has more offense. Hope Kessler get's a team that will work hard some day.
My heart is family.
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

witljon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:13 pm
There’s a good chance those 1st rounders will produce no star players.
they have a large number of our picks still coming their way - but it won't surprise me if a number of them get moved in a deal - consolidated into obtaining more of an established star. What do you suppose Sexton, Agbaji, Hendricks and two firsts could get you?