Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Your assessment of the game

Home for Gopher football topics
hategreenticemase

Your assessment of the game

Post by hategreenticemase »

First, was not impressed with PJ or our play calling, but damn sure glad we had him as our coach and not Rhule. Nebraska coming out with the lead and 12 minutes on the clock and throwing three straight passes (two down field) was one of the funniest and most moronic things I've seen in quite some time. Thanks, buddy, we sure appreciate you throwing into the strength of our team. :lol:

Obviously the biggest concern at this point is the running game. That was surprisingly disappointing. I was not impressed with the offensive line at all. In spite of mostly doing quick rhythm and intermediate passing, AK had to escape using his feet all night especially from the interior. This was concerning as well. I have a feeling this will be cleaned up and has to do with losing some experience, but definitely this needs to be an area that is dramatically improved by the time they play their next real team.

Not sure what I think of Tyler. He is young, can't go by just one game, and there's room for development obviously as well. But at this point I think Williams might be better. You damn sure is better at using his blockers and reading the holes. But like I said I need a couple more games to make a conclusion about the kid.

I was very disappointed with the overall use of Spann Ford. How is he not a focal point at this point earlier instead of waiting to the fourth quarter?

I thought the defense was pretty good especially considering Vandenberg was not in there. Anyone know what his status is? Walley and Nubin are players!

AK showed flashes. Loved his escapability and his running. He has a talented arm. Would like to see better accuracy and touchdown field. That's sad our receivers need to be getting better separation as well. Love the kids future, think he'll be much better a month from now.

Where was Autmun Bell???

Not quite sure how the hell we won that game, but damn glad we did!
Slap Shot

Re: Your assessment of the game

Post by Slap Shot »

1. Not sure what issues you'd have toward PJ for that game unless you think he's calling the O plays - he's not. And when was the last time he didn't call his first TO of a half until the 2nd and 4th quarters? :lol:
2. I agree they need to get Spann-Ford more involved, although 5 for 45 isn't horrible
3. Also no idea about CAB - perhaps he's still not fully recovered from his injury
4. The kickoff and kick return teams both need a lot of work
5. I also feel like the PR team wasn't that great
6. For having no film on this Nebraska squad (as opposed to the opposite) I give the defense a lot of credit. That Sims kid was a legit threat with his legs and yet if not for a really fluke play the Gophers only have up 3 points
7. I like Jackson but he's got to fix the dropsies
hategreenticemase

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:44 am 1. Not sure what issues you'd have toward PJ for that game unless you think he's calling the O plays - he's not. And when was the last time he didn't call his first TO of a half until the 2nd and 4th quarters? :lol:
2. I agree they need to get Spann-Ford more involved, although 5 for 45 isn't horrible
3. Also no idea about CAB - perhaps he's still not fully recovered from his injury
6. For having no film on this Nebraska squad (as opposed to the opposite) I give the defense a lot of credit. That Sims kid was a legit threat with his legs and yet if not for a really fluke play the Gophers only have up 3 points
I expected them to come over more crisp and better prepared, that's on PJ. I understand he's not going to play with if you think he's not involved in that you're crazy. Not saying he coached the terrible game, I was more saying Rhule helped us a lot. His not calling time out at the end of the first half was moronic too.

I liked the defense. We have a couple studs in the back end and that's great. We can get a legit pass rusher to emerge this defense could be very very good. Again.

Agree with all your other comments especially the kick units. That was fun irritating. I also agree on Jackson. I think he has the makings of becoming a borderline stud player, but he needs to fix the routine shit.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Those conference games Week 1 are tough as hell. Not a fan of playing those games so early. Feels like teams need at least a warmup game or two before they jump into a conference game. Sloppy game on both sides. Nebraska was the same old team that couldn't win a close one and had a lot of penalties.

I thought Minnesota's defense looks pretty good overall. That Nebraska QB is going to get his, but they did a nice job stopping the Nebraska RB's. That fluke TD pass should have never happened on that broken play for Nebraska, and Minnesota got screwed on that no call pass interference late.

Glad that defensive player got tossed for targeting that was a bullshit hit and could have hurt the Gopher QB. Was pretty impressed with him at QB. Bad INT but he has a nice arm and hit some tight passes. He's going to be a good one with experience and a little muscle/weight on him. Reminded me of Ricky Stanzi at Iowa when he first played. Skinny with some flashes but had work to do.

Good win for the Gophers. They have a lot to work on especially in the run game but 1-0 against a conference team is a good start.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

The short answer is I feel a whole lot worse about the offense than I did yesterday, but I feel a whole lot better about the defense.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:16 am
Slap Shot wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:44 am 1. Not sure what issues you'd have toward PJ for that game unless you think he's calling the O plays - he's not. And when was the last time he didn't call his first TO of a half until the 2nd and 4th quarters? :lol:
I expected them to come over more crisp and better prepared, that's on PJ. I understand he's not going to play with if you think he's not involved in that you're crazy. Not saying he coached the terrible game, I was more saying Rhule helped us a lot. His not calling time out at the end of the first half was moronic too.
It was Game 1 against a conference opponent that was not only desperate to make a statement game, but with a brand new coach meaning the Gophers had no game film to prepare for what this Nebraska team would look like. Minnesota also has a new OC. And yet they never panicked and looked poised even when they were headed towards what looked like a sure loss late in the game. I've seen PJ give games away, but I don't find fault with him that much on what happened vs NEB.
Sellingguy
***Official Gibby Award Winner - April 2019***

Post by Sellingguy »

It was a boring game. Shut it off in the 3rd quarter. See headline this morning that gophers STUN Nebraska.
I chuckled.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Won the opening game of the season against a Big Ten team. Good win. Nebraska felt like the better team, but Gophers got it done. Nebraska QB made too many mistakes. We've been spoiled with Ibrahim, run game was dull.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I'll say this, Iowa wins about 5 of those type of games every year.
Too bad one of them is always against the Gophers.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

I was surprised that Zach Evans didn't get any carries especially with how average the running game looked.
Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Hopefully they get AB back soon.
D_H

Post by D_H »

2 garbage teams bottom feeders of the Big Ten. Nebraska will soon turn it around because they have a real coach not a used car salesman that is a blowhard. At the end of this year PJs career Big Ten record will be five or six Games below 500.

To squeak buy a bottom feeder team that had 4 turnovers in your crib is Fn disgraceful. :roll:
hategreenticemase

D_H wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:57 pm 2 garbage teams bottom feeders of the Big Ten. Nebraska will soon turn it around because they have a real coach not a used car salesman that is a blowhard. At the end of this year PJs career Big Ten record will be five or six Games below 500.

To squeak buy a bottom feeder team that had 4 turnovers in your crib is Fn disgraceful. :roll:
Seriously, just fucking give up. No one bites on your moronic garbage here. You get more than enough attention you need in PC, you don't need to try and ruin this board. For fuck sakes there ain't enough targets for you here anyway, not many post here. Holy fuck how many different ways can you say the same nonsensical trolling garbage?
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:15 pm I'll say this, Iowa wins about 5 of those type of games every year.
Too bad one of them is always against the Gophers.
Well played. :lol:
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 am The short answer is I feel a whole lot worse about the offense than I did yesterday, but I feel a whole lot better about the defense.
Ya, this is where I'm at too. However I cannot imagine that the running game will not be substantially better over the next couple 3 weeks. If it isn't then we are in trouble.

Offensive line needs some gelling and I have to believe will improve.

What did you think of Tyler?
hategreenticemase

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:13 am
It was Game 1 against a conference opponent that was not only desperate to make a statement game, but with a brand new coach meaning the Gophers had no game film to prepare for what this Nebraska team would look like. Minnesota also has a new OC. And yet they never panicked and looked poised even when they were headed towards what looked like a sure loss late in the game. I've seen PJ give games away, but I don't find fault with him that much on what happened vs NEB.
That's fair, and again I really feel like you're extrapolating what I was saying as my comments were more about Rhule helping us win then it was about PJ doing poorly. And you are correct with what you said earlier he definitely handled time all it's better than rhule did.
D_H

Post by D_H »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:21 pm
D_H wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:57 pm 2 garbage teams bottom feeders of the Big Ten. Nebraska will soon turn it around because they have a real coach not a used car salesman that is a blowhard. At the end of this year PJs career Big Ten record will be five or six Games below 500.

Seriously, just fucking give up. No one bites on your moronic garbage here. You get more than enough attention you need in PC, you don't need to try and ruin this board. For fuck sakes there ain't enough targets for you here anyway, not many post here. Holy fuck how many different ways can you say the same nonsensical trolling garbage?
You’ll see after this year PJ will have a career sub 500 big ten record and you moronic homers will be licking his boots. You know what they say - simpleminded people are easy to please congratulations. Lmao
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:22 pm
feekdogg wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 am The short answer is I feel a whole lot worse about the offense than I did yesterday, but I feel a whole lot better about the defense.
Ya, this is where I'm at too. However I cannot imagine that the running game will not be substantially better over the next couple 3 weeks. If it isn't then we are in trouble.

Tyler reminds me a lot of Bucky Irving, just without the speed, elusiveness, and general football playmaking abilities.
hategreenticemase

D_H wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:40 pm

You’ll see after this year PJ will have a career sub 500 big ten record and you moronic homers will be licking his boots. You know what they say - simpleminded people are easy to please congratulations. Lmao
Seriously, please - can you just keep it the PC?
D_H

Post by D_H »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:55 pm
D_H wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:40 pm

Seriously, please - can you just keep it the PC?
Got boxed up huh? Lol
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:55 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:22 pm

Tyler reminds me a lot of Bucky Irving, just without the speed, elusiveness, and general football playmaking abilities.
Yeah, I actually thought Williams was better.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:23 pm

That's fair, and again I really feel like you're extrapolating what I was saying as my comments were more about Rhule helping us win then it was about PJ doing poorly. And you are correct with what you said earlier he definitely handled time all it's better than rhule did.
Yeah not coming at your hard bro - just offering up an observation.

As for DH being DH - Jerry Kill was 15-25 in the conference, Mason was 32-49 in the conference and had epic chokes vs UM (Friday night debacle), UW (blocked punt in the end zone), two epic bowl game collapses, Lou Holtz would probably have been legit but left after 2 seasons for Notre Dame...

No Gophers coach has won more total games than Fleck in 6 seasons since Warmath (who left in 1971. Mason won more total games but had a lower Win%, lower BT Win% and worse bowl record in 10 season), none have had a a higher Win% since Bierman (who left in 1950), no Gophers coach has led them to 4 straight bowl wins, they are putting more players into the NFL than ever before, for fuck sake the student section has never looked like it has the past few years, the program is clean and getting more exposure than ever. He's even slightly dialed back the "rah rah" in your face stuff this season.

No the guy is not perfect without question - but who does a Fleck hater realistically want that will accomplish everything that Fleck has, beat Iowa, not leave after 2 years, and not pull a Jan Gangelhoff scandal?
hategreenticemase

Slap Shot wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:09 pm

As for DH being DH - Jerry Kill was 15-25 in the conference, Mason was 32-49 in the conference and had epic chokes vs UM (Friday night debacle), UW (blocked punt in the end zone), two epic bowl game collapses, Lou Holtz would probably have been legit but left after 2 seasons for Notre Dame...

No Gophers coach has won more total games than Fleck in 6 seasons since Warmath (who left in 1971. Mason won more total games but had a lower Win%, lower BT Win% and worse bowl record in 10 season), none have had a a higher Win% since Bierman (who left in 1950), no Gophers coach has led them to 4 straight bowl wins, they are putting more players into the NFL than ever before, for fuck sake the student section has never looked like it has the past few years, the program is clean and getting more exposure than ever. He's even slightly dialed back the "rah rah" in your face stuff this season.

No the guy is not perfect without question - but who does a Fleck hater realistically want that will accomplish everything that Fleck has, beat Iowa, not leave after 2 years, and not pull a Jan Gangelhoff scandal?
As for DH, just report his nonsense when spamming like he did all game thread. The mods all know who he is and will shut the garbage down. Amazing a grown ass man gets his rocks off irritating other grown men but they stop the garbage when they are asked to.

Yeah, I mostly like Fleck. I despise the rhetoric and schtick but part of that is just the way shit is now and what 18 year olds go for and how the entitled world we live in works. Either way I can take anything if the success is there and as you said he seems to have toned that down some. Mostly what has bothered me is some in game coaching issues. Again, yesterday wasnt that - the reverse in redzone was moronic but no obvious blunders otherwise. But there has been many examples of blunders that have cost us in his era.

All that said there is no question overall he has done damn well. For fuck sakes, I go back to the days of 84-13 with Salem and l endured Jim fucking Wacker. Holy God that sucked. So, ya, I will take Fleck. Sidenote - I met Fleck and while it was brief, I will say this, he is a lot more genuine in person than you would expect and others would perhaps have a diff opinion of him had they ha same encounter.

I hope he stays and just hope that once or twice can have a special team that can win the conf and or make a Rose Bowl. At least we may finally have a QB!
DMB

Post by DMB »

Fleck's as good as U of M football will ever get and stay. He's done well.
Semper Fi
D_H

Post by D_H »

I want to better than .500

After this year he’ll have a sub .500 Big Ten record. Not sure why Minnesota gopher football fans are so easy to please? In most places that kind of a record is fireable offense.
hategreenticemase

Everyone, just ignore DH and if he does the repetitive spamming bullshit, report it. It will be taken care of.
hategreenticemase

DMB wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:56 pm

Has done well for sure. Now that he has a QB, he needs to make a legit run in next 3 Autumn's.

Aren't you a Husker? What do you think of their new direction?
DMB

Post by DMB »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:33 pm

Has done well for sure. Now that he has a QB, he needs to make a legit run in next 3 Autumn's.

Heck no. I am kind of a fan just because they're a flyover country team along with their history etc bit I'm maroon and gold through and through.
Semper Fi
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

I watched the game on Thursday and wanted to hold off on posting my assessment until after the Colorado vs. TCU game. My logic was, TCU runs a 3-3-5 scheme, same as Nebraska this season. Said 3-3-5 scheme by TCU shut down Michigan's running game last year in the National SemiFinal. So I wanted to see how Colorado's O line handled said scheme.

CU handled it very well today and won. Gophers vs Nebraska was putrid at times. Granted the O-Line did just enough to win the game and that is what counts--especially with CRAB and Cody Lindenberg being a scratch. But overall, the O-line was not what I expected. I thought the O-line would be much much more crisp given Fleck has 7 years to build the depth. The homer in me thinks the 3-3-5 by NU was the culprit since we won't see said scheme the rest of the season.

It feels like Fleck knows he has something sepcial in Athan and a loaded WR corps and seem to force the throw. This is opposite of the previous 6 seasons which were run heavy except 2019 when they went 11-2 with 2 NFL WR's and their offense was really balanced.

The 1 thing that eats at my craw is, does it seem like Fleck makes a bone-headed decision each game? Thursday night, the tried a 54 yard field goal with about 3 mintues in the 1st half. WTF? Why not punt and pin NU deep and play to the strength of the team which is the defense. Thus forcing NU to go the length of the field for any points. Thank God Rhule called a TO and we got an interception. But still it reminds me of going for 4th an 1 in your own territory against Bowling Green and Illinois. Just don't give the opposition a short field.

My consolation is, 2019 stareted rough against South Dakota State until Winfiled Jr. made an interception in our endzone to seal the victory. He did the same the following week at Fresno State in Overtime after Morgan threw a miracle pass to CRAB to take the lead. Following week vs GA Southern they blocked a punt to take the lead and somehow someway Morgan threw a TD to Johnson to win the game. Then the 2019 team "took off" and ended up 11-2. Point being, is each team will face adverstiy and Thursday night they found a way to win which is the objective vs NU who is clearly rebulding again.

I would like to see vs Eastern Michigan the O-Line improve and gain confidence. Equal balance between running and passing. I have no concerns about the defense as long as Joe Rossi is at D Coordinator.

Final concern is, kickoff return. Just down it and take the ball at the 25 insead of trying to run it and endup at the 18 yardline which seemed to happen every single time
hategreenticemase

DMB wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:45 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:33 pm

Heck no. I am kind of a fan just because they're a flyover country team along with their history etc bit I'm maroon and gold through and through.
Sorry, my bad - have you confused with another rube. MN guy but went to school at Neb.

Neb has had a rough run since Solich.