Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

QB development

Home for Gopher football topics
hategreenticemase

QB development

Post by hategreenticemase »

Ain't a strong suit of this program. Jesus Christ.

We had an ideal situation - a hotshot QB prospect who out of necessity for much opportunity to play last year and was thrown in the fire quite a bit. Then, had an entire offseason to further this kid along and have him ready to take on the world this fall as obviously he was now the guy.

What a collosal disappointment. Cannon for an arm, food enough awareness in pocket, tough and good feet. And he is nowhere close at this point to being a good P5 QB. Accuracy is at best "not good", no touch on certain throws. As Feek pointed out, ol gave him time. Now there was some drops too, but he missed way way more throws than had drops.

The plan on offense is mysterious and pretty disappointing separation from these receivers also, so it's not all AK. Taylor is a damn good player - one catch. FFS, get him ball in space. Spann Ford, has he ever run a seam route? I don't understand the plan with him at all.

Absolutely disappointing development of this kid. Accuracy needs a lot of work and what is this constant side arm bullshit? Who is working on this throwing mechanics?

He's young and still has a chance but this is very concerning.
Slap Shot

Re: QB development

Post by Slap Shot »

I don't know how much "development" goes into accuracy, but the rest of his game seems very capable which indicates the development otherwise has been there no?
hategreenticemase

Slap Shot wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:40 am I don't know how much "development" goes into accuracy, but the rest of his game seems very capable which indicates the development otherwise has been there no?
He had a rb run for 140 yards and had decent to good protection most of the game yet was 11-29 for 133 and a pick, all against a middling defense. So ya, I would say development is definitely severely questionable. His mechanics suck which is a lot to do with accuracy. This sidearm bullshit he does occasionally is something coachable as well.
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Post by WannaBeProGolferGuy »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:12 am Ain't a strong suit of this program. Jesus Christ.

We had an ideal situation - a hotshot QB prospect who out of necessity for much opportunity to play last year and was thrown in the fire quite a bit. Then, had an entire offseason to further this kid along and have him ready to take on the world this fall as obviously he was now the guy.

What a collosal disappointment. Cannon for an arm, food enough awareness in pocket, tough and good feet. And he is nowhere close at this point to being a good P5 QB. Accuracy is at best "not good", no touch on certain throws. As Feek pointed out, ol gave him time. Now there was some drops too, but he missed way way more throws than had drops.

The plan on offense is mysterious and pretty disappointing separation from these receivers also, so it's not all AK. Taylor is a damn good player - one catch. FFS, get him ball in space. Spann Ford, has he ever run a seam route? I don't understand the plan with him at all.

Absolutely disappointing development of this kid. Accuracy needs a lot of work and what is this constant side arm bullshit? Who is working on this throwing mechanics?

It does seem as if Athan has regressed this season compared to what he demonstrated in his few appearances last season. I thought at minimum he would be the same this year if not slightly better. Coney Durr tweeted last season that Athan ran the scout team Offense and torched the 2021 defense during practices.

To my untrained eye, it seems like his passes are:

1.) thrown with way too much velocity--he can rifle a pass from the left hash to the right hash and vice versa. But that does not work on a checkdown or a slant.

2.) inaccurate and either above the receivers hands or below the receivers hands.

3.) seems as if his decision to throw is just a split second late

Got me thinking, when was the last time a Gopher QB was actually drafted in the NFL? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

He'll have an awful year, they'll part ways with the OC/QB coach Harbaugh, and hire Morgan to be the new QB coach. Fleck has this network of candidates he can choose from, but he can't wait to give jobs to guys rhat he's chummy wirh.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

Touch and accuracy. Major problems for Athan. Agreed on him being a huge disappointment. The tools are there, but for whatever reason he isn't getting it done.
Let's get Tropical
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:07 am He'll have an awful year, they'll part ways with the OC/QB coach Harbaugh, and hire Morgan to be the new QB coach. Fleck has this network of candidates he can choose from, but he can't wait to give jobs to guys rhat he's chummy wirh.
Ick.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

As we know, good QBs are hard to find and obviously the ratio of good QBs is lower than players a another position.

My take on it is good QBs are sought after and just simply choose to go to a bigger/better progrum than the Gophers. I've talked about it before but the Gophers have never had a really good QB since I knew what football was. What, Adam Weber? Lol. It can't just be coaching them up because we have had numerous staffs.

Even a team like Wisconsin etc who is a well run program never has a good QB either. The one year of Russell Wilson is the only year that really stands out.

The Gophers are a historically poor program and we are in flyover country. A lot of kids with the ability to be good at the QB position are probably heading elsewhere.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:01 pm As we know, good QBs are hard to find and obviously the ratio of good QBs is lower than players a another position.

My take on it is good QBs are sought after and just simply choose to go to a bigger/better progrum than the Gophers. I've talked about it before but the Gophers have never had a really good QB since I knew what football was. What, Adam Weber? Lol. It can't just be coaching them up because we have had numerous staffs.

Even a team like Wisconsin etc who is a well run program never has a good QB either. The one year of Russell Wilson is the only year that really stands out.

The Gophers are a historically poor program and we are in flyover country. A lot of kids with the ability to be good at the QB position are probably heading elsewhere.
Hohensee was pretty good RT!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
WannaBeProGolferGuy

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:03 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 4:12 am Ain't a strong suit of this program. Jesus Christ.

It does seem as if Athan has regressed this season compared to what he demonstrated in his few appearances last season. I thought at minimum he would be the same this year if not slightly better. Coney Durr tweeted last season that Athan ran the scout team Offense and torched the 2021 defense during practices.

To my untrained eye, it seems like his passes are:

1.)

Code: Select all

thrown with way too much velocity--he can rifle a pass from the left hash to the right hash and vice versa.  But that does not work on a checkdown or a slant.
2.) inaccurate and either above the receivers hands or below the receivers hands.

3.) seems as if his decision to throw is just a split second late

Got me thinking, when was the last time a Gopher QB was actually drafted in the NFL? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any
Wow, what an an amazing outstanding take as Glen "Mase in your face" Mason said the same thing when he is on with Barreiro. All fastballs and no curve balls or changeups.

Great take and observation by WannaBeProGolferGuy
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

new coaches, new roster, new season, new scheme. No time to adjust, just hey, heres Nebraska and UNC!
GopherGuy

Post by GopherGuy »

Hopefully they actually work on the passing game tomorrow. There is nothing more frustrating then when they go to one of those we are just going to out muscle you running games and pass 15-20 times. I get that has historically worked for Fleck against lesser opponents but good God man you can't just flip a switch and have timing and a passing game. More often than not those style of games also end up being way closer than they need to be. It's ok to blow somebody out and pick up the tempo a little bit at times.
GopherGuy

Post by GopherGuy »

I agree with the Spann-Ford comment. They sure love throwing him two yard passes in the flat with a guy on his hip. Move him around. Pretend he isn't a sixth lineman for once.
hategreenticemase

GopherGuy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:40 am

I agree with the Spann-Ford comment. They sure love throwing him two yard passes in the flat with a guy on his hip. Move him around. Pretend he isn't a sixth lineman for once.
Amen!
hategreenticemase

GopherGuy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:34 am Hopefully they actually work on the passing game tomorrow. There is nothing more frustrating then when they go to one of those we are just going to out muscle you running games and pass 15-20 times. I get that has historically worked for Fleck against lesser opponents but good God man you can't just flip a switch and have timing and a passing game. More often than not those style of games also end up being way closer than they need to be. It's ok to blow somebody out and pick up the tempo a little bit at times.
Absolutely spot on. When Tanner Morgan is your QB, ok, maybe. When you have a YOUNG guy with loads of potential, use this game as a confidence boost and or platform to build upon.
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Brennan Armstrong was a Gopher QB commit. Fleck basically pulled his scholarship when he got in some sort of trouble at school. He threw for 4500 yards in a season at Virginia.
Fleck obviously prefers his QBs to be in the Tim Tebow mode, and I'm not talking left-handed. Creates a pretty shallow pool to pull recruits from.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:09 pm Brennan Armstrong was a Gopher QB commit. Fleck basically pulled his scholarship when he got in some sort of trouble at school. He threw for 4500 yards in a season at Virginia.
Fleck obviously prefers his QBs to be in the Tim Tebow mode, and I'm not talking left-handed. Creates a pretty shallow pool to pull recruits from.
Disappointing.

Any clue on what they think of Max Skikenjanski? What string is he?
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

Another one they failed to develop out the door. This wraps up Fleck's 11th season as a head coach at the FBS level. He's recruited and signed exactly one QB in more than a decade that has shown he can be at least competent at the FBS level. I'd say that's more than a little subpar.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:01 pm Another one they failed to develop out the door. This wraps up Fleck's 11th season as a head coach at the FBS level. He's recruited and signed exactly one QB in more than a decade that has shown he can be at least competent at the FBS level. I'd say that's more than a little subpar.
An absolutely scary indictment. Period.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
WannaBeProGolferGuy

Hoop Dreams wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:32 pm
I am really really curious on this rig from Arkansas. He just won the state championship in Arkansas at the highest level of high-school football and he threw 52 Touchdowns!! Pretty tough for a true freshman to come in and win the starting QB job, but, given the thin depth at QB as of Dec 3rd, 2023, who knows
hategreenticemase

WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:50 pm
I am really really curious on this rig from Arkansas. He just won the state championship in Arkansas at the highest level of high-school football and he threw 52 Touchdowns!! Pretty tough for a true freshman to come in and win the starting QB job, but, given the thin depth at QB as of Dec 3rd, 2023, who knows
What's he ranked nationally?
WannaBeProGolferGuy

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:55 pm
WannaBeProGolferGuy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:50 pm
What's he ranked nationally?
Good grief, no idea. If I recall correctly, he is rated as 3 Star recruit--which to me doesn't mean a whole lot
feekdogg

Post by feekdogg »

I don't know a ton about Lindsay. I do find it odd that a kid in the same town as the University of Arkansas never got much attention from the Razorbacks until way late in the process. The hope I suppose is that he's kind of like Bateman in that they found him and got him fully on board before better offers came along.
The other side of the coin is maybe it's just another overrating of a QB by the staff.
hategreenticemase

feekdogg wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:38 pm I don't know a ton about Lindsay. I do find it odd that a kid in the same town as the University of Arkansas never got much attention from the Razorbacks until way late in the process. The hope I suppose is that he's kind of like Bateman in that they found him and got him fully on board before better offers came along.
The other side of the coin is maybe it's just another overrating of a QB by the staff.
Like I said earlier, what hope is there that we can develop any young QB into anything? The staff should just continually go get guys out of the portal who are already good. I have a documented history of being very poor at developing quarterbacks.