Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Turd Taylor Out As Majority Owner

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
aztimberwolves

Re: Turd Taylor Out As Majority Owner

Post by aztimberwolves »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:36 pm
T_J wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:10 pm
SHAFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:00 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
The foundation is solid. That’s laughable.

You Glen homers are fucking stupid as it gets.
Coach Finch, Ant, Kat, Naz, and Jaden isn’t a solid foundation? Seriously?

Edit: All the above were here before ARod graced us with his presence.
it laughable that you have KAT on the is list when most of the homers on here were wanting to trade him for peanuts at the start of the year.

And having all those guys on the roster, what was their ceiling? The play in game the last 2 years to missing the playoffs. Yet you guys want us to believe it’s just coincidence that as soon as Arod and Lore got here and installed a competent management structure, that the product on the court improved as well. Coincidence??? That a dumpster fire of an organization and the butt of jokes somehow just turned course overnight and it had nothing to do with Lore and Arod?? Laughable/

Yea let’s keep thinking that Taylor who has held the worst winning percentage for awhile in all 4 major sports somehow woke up one day and learned how to actually run a sports franchise. Keep stocking your head n the sands. You Taylor Turd backers are the epitome of insanity. Keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The in 10 years when we are the middle of our 133rd rebuild under Taylor, possibly you might all wake up and realize want a complete waste Taylor is.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

And i don’t want to hear ANYBODY bitch when Taylor inevitably sells one of our 2nd rounders for cash to pay for god whatever he makes up. This is the guy you want, deal with the consequences.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:53 pm

it laughable that you have KAT on the is list when most of the homers on here were wanting to trade him for peanuts at the start of the year.

And having all those guys on the roster, what was their ceiling? The play in game the last 2 years to missing the playoffs. Yet you guys want us to believe it’s just coincidence that as soon as Arod and Lore got here and installed a competent management structure, that the product on the court improved as well. Coincidence??? That a dumpster fire of an organization and the butt of jokes somehow just turned course overnight and it had nothing to do with Lore and Arod?? Laughable/

Yea let’s keep thinking that Taylor who has held the worst winning percentage for awhile in all 4 major sports somehow woke up one day and learned how to actually run a sports franchise. Keep stocking your head n the sands. You Taylor Turd backers are the epitome of insanity. Keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The in 10 years when we are the middle of our 133rd rebuild under Taylor, possibly you might all wake up and realize want a complete waste Taylor is.
I was very much a part of those Towns discussions and I can tell you that Jimi was one of the few who did NOT advocate for trading Towns. You’re correct that many (probably even most) did. But Jimi did not. So his point is not laughable. It’s consistent. You can disagree with it and that’s fair, but coming from him, there’s no inconsistency.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Jimi_Thing

Post by Jimi_Thing »

This is where I stopped reading.

I’m speaking for myself. I’m stating my opinion. If you want to argue with someone that was of the belief KAT should have been traded for peanuts, I ain’t the one.

Do you believe Coach Finch, Ant, Kat, Naz, and Jaden is a solid foundation?
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

:lol:

Dudes just yelling in circles now.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:03 pm :lol:

Team Towns unite!

- Isaac Asimov
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:03 pm :lol:

and you’re still an annoying ego maniac
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Everyone in here worried about WHO the owner is probably can't even name more than 5 current owners in the league. That's because it doesn't fucking matter IF they hire competent people and get the fuck out of the way. I would much rather have great players, coach and GM than a kick ass owner.

This is NOT a pro-Taylor post, but has everyone forgotten the string of 50 win seasons we put together (with Taylor as owner) in the early 2000's? And what did that team have? That's right, a future hall of famer. This is a players league, plain and simple. You can win with a dumbfuck owner if you have the player(s).

Those giving credit to Lore and ARod for our rise to the top...sorry, this all comes down to Ant and his continued rise to stardom. Ant is probably the biggest reason for Connelly taking the job; not ARod, Lore or whomever else you want to give credit to.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:00 pm

I’m speaking for myself. I’m stating my opinion. If you want to argue with someone that was of the belief KAT should have been traded for peanuts, I ain’t the one.

Fair enough you weren’t one of those that wanted Towns traded. Sorry to have lumped you in that crowd. But you can see my point by another thread simply suggesting we might be better off with out Towns. For those that want him gone but crediting Taylor for having him on our squad is just awful logic.

Yes it’s a solid foundation. But its ceiling is as high as Ant can carry them. Gobert was the move that set this team over the top and a real competitor and it was Connelly that made that decision. Also getting rid of Dhow and gettin a true Pg, getting a solid Veterna in FA with KA, and trading for NAW. All Connelly moves.

You seem like a reasonable person. I just can’t for the life of me wrap my head around why people still want Taylor in charge of this team. 30 years of incompetency. Had the worst winning percentage of any pro sports team in any sport for a long time. I just don’t get why people are so enamored with him and think anything will change when he’s proven over and over at every turn that he’s completely inept as an owner.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 pm

Everyone in here worried about WHO the owner is probably can't even name more than 5 current owners in the league. That's because it doesn't fucking matter IF they hire competent people and get the fuck out of the way. I would much rather have great players, coach and GM than a kick ass owner.

This is NOT a pro-Taylor post, but has everyone forgotten the string of 50 win seasons we put together (with Taylor as owner) in the early 2000's? And what did that team have? That's right, a future hall of famer. This is a players league, plain and simple. You can win with a dumbfuck owner if you have the player(s).

Those giving credit to Lore and ARod for our rise to the top...sorry, this all comes down to Ant and his continued rise to stardom. Ant is probably the biggest reason for Connelly taking the job; not ARod, Lore or whomever else you want to give credit to.
You see a 50 win season a “success” with a top 25 player of all time while i see Garnetts prime being WASTED by Taylor and the person he EMPLOYED in McHale. They finally pushed their chips in and almost won and should have won the championship if Billups doesn’t blow his groin out. Then it was back to the usual shit until Garnett finally walked away and promptly won an NBA title with a real roster that the wolves could habe put together themselves.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:40 pm

Fair enough you weren’t one of those that wanted Towns traded. Sorry to have lumped you in that crowd. But you can see my point by another thread simply suggesting we might be better off with out Towns. For those that want him gone but crediting Taylor for having him on our squad is just awful logic.

Yes it’s a solid foundation. But its ceiling is as high as Ant can carry them. Gobert was the move that set this team over the top and a real competitor and it was Connelly that made that decision. Also getting rid of Dhow and gettin a true Pg, getting a solid Veterna in FA with KA, and trading for NAW. All Connelly moves.

You seem like a reasonable person. I just can’t for the life of me wrap my head around why people still want Taylor in charge of this team. 30 years of incompetency. Had the worst winning percentage of any pro sports team in any sport for a long time. I just don’t get why people are so enamored with him and think anything will change when he’s proven over and over at every turn that he’s completely inept as an owner.
Speaking for myself, I don’t think I so much want Taylor to be the owner as I trust him more than I trust ARod/Lorre.

It’s not like I have an autographed 8x10 of Taylor in my den or anything. He sucks for a million reasons. But he will keep the team here and he has paid for a good product before. I don’t know that either of those things are true with the other fellas.

Ideally, yeah. It would be someone else. I just am not convinced that ARod/Lorre are it. Even if they are committed to keeping the team here or the league really wouldn’t let the Wolves leave (I’m not so sure on either point, but I’ll assume it’s true for now), I don’t think they have the money to pay for a really good team. The fact that they’re lux-tax averse is concerning. Maybe that’s not true, but it seems consistent with an ownership that is struggling to find the funds to complete the purchase of the franchise. For these reasons, I’m out on ARod/Lorre. Taylor still sucks. Granted.

- Isaac Asimov
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

If a team has a horrible owner, such as Taylor or James Dolan from the Knicks, it makes it a lot harder for those teams to overcome their dipshit owners.

Have you ever wondered why a top agent or hell, even some draft picks (Steph Curry), don’t want to play here? It’s because of the organization and the reputation Taylor has around the league as being a complete goofy dumb fuck. That makes it extremely hard for their teams to overcome and compete.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:45 pm

You see a 50 win season a “success” with a top 25 player of all time while i see Garnetts prime being WASTED by Taylor and the person he EMPLOYED in McHale. They finally pushed their chips in and almost won and should have won the championship if Billups doesn’t blow his groin out. Then it was back to the usual shit until Garnett finally walked away and promptly won an NBA title with a real roster that the wolves could habe put together themselves.
First off, I don't recall billups blowing his groin out ever costing us a championship. Which year was that?

So, say the Timberwolves win 56 games this year, but don't win the championship. Are you going to call this season a failure and call for ARod and Lore's head because this is the team that they built?

The whole point of my post is that players run the league. If you don't have the players, nothing else matters. Plain and simple.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:49 pm

Speaking for myself, I don’t think I so much want Taylor to be the owner as I trust him more than I trust ARod/Lorre.

It’s not like I have an autographed 8x10 of Taylor in my den or anything. He sucks for a million reasons. But he will keep the team here and he has paid for a good product before. I don’t know that either of those things are true with the other fellas.

Ideally, yeah. It would be someone else. I just am not convinced that ARod/Lorre are it. Even if they are committed to keeping the team here or the league really wouldn’t let the Wolves leave (I’m not so sure on either point, but I’ll assume it’s true for now), I don’t think they have the money to pay for a really good team. The fact that they’re lux-tax averse is concerning. Maybe that’s not true, but it seems consistent with an ownership that is struggling to find the funds to complete the purchase of the franchise. For these reasons, I’m out on ARod/Lorre. Taylor still sucks. Granted.
Fair enough. But it drives me nuts to hear that he’s paid for teams and is a willing spender. Yeah on one squad over 20 years ago he did. But since then….no he’s proven to be miserly as fuck.

Everybody acts like Lore and Arod are poor. According to Forbes Taylor is worth 2.8 bil and lore is 2.2 bil. A bit of a difference but not huge. Add on Arod 400m net worth and it’s equal. Plus all the minor owners. I am skeptical of that report that they want payroll slashed when they have signed off on extensions for Mcdaniels and Edwards. It just doesn’t add up. Sounds like a story planted by Skinflint to sway public opinion his way.

I just hope we get a quick resolution to this by the arbitrator and this won’t set us back this offseason and limiting what we can do in the offseason
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:00 pm

Fair enough. But it drives me nuts to hear that he’s paid for teams and is a willing spender. Yeah on one squad over 20 years ago he did. But since then….no he’s proven to be miserly as fuck.

Everybody acts like Lore and Arod are poor. According to Forbes Taylor is worth 2.8 bil and lore is 2.2 bil. A bit of a difference but not huge. Add on Arod 400m net worth and it’s equal. Plus all the minor owners. I am skeptical of that report that they want payroll slashed when they have signed off on extensions for Mcdaniels and Edwards. It just doesn’t add up. Sounds like a story planted by Skinflint to sway public opinion his way.

I just hope we get a quick resolution to this by the arbitrator and this won’t set us back this offseason and limiting what we can do in the offseason
Like I said already, everyone needs to take a deep breath and let this all play out. I'm sure we don't know half the shit that's going on.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:54 pm

First off, I don't recall billups blowing his groin out ever costing us a championship. Which year was that?

So, say the Timberwolves win 56 games this year, but don't win the championship. Are you going to call this season a failure and call for ARod and Lore's head because this is the team that they built?

The whole point of my post is that players run the league. If you don't have the players, nothing else matters. Plain and simple.
Damn typo sorry Cassell. My bad

No this season is not a waste of they don’t win the championship. But it will be if they blow this team up and trade Kat and whoever else. And then in a couple years history repeats itself with Edwards being surrounded by journeymen role players like Laphonso ellis, marko jaric, joe smith, and whoever else mchale dredged from the bottom of the scrap pile and being content to win 50 games a year, get blown out in the 1st round and then watching it decline until we are fighting for a play in berth and Edwards walks away.

Sound familiar?
Last edited by aztimberwolves on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

And again like I already said, it appears that ARod fucked this all up. Why is Lore wasting his time partnering with him? That seems like the real mistake in all of this.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:05 pm

And again like I already said, it appears that ARod fucked this all up. Why is Lore wasting his time partnering with him? That seems like the real mistake in all of this.
How did Arod fuck it up? I might have missed something.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Could be. But if it’s not true, why did they miss payment deadlines? We know some of their funding fell out and they had to scramble to find another investor. There’s definitely some smoke there. That usually means fire. Maybe Lorre is worth $2.2B, but that doesn’t mean he has liquidity to manage salary with lux tax. And maybe some of these minority partners only invested with the condition that they get a certain return. A return that could be eaten into by lux tax payments.

It seems to me that ARod and Lorre are struggling to cobble together just enough to make the payments and can’t get them done on time. And the report that they don’t want to pay the lux is enough to raise my alarm on them as an ownership group.

I know Taylor is a turd and he’s acting turdy here too. No argument.

- Isaac Asimov
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:05 pm

No this season is not a waste of they don’t win the championship. But it will be if they blow this team up and trade Kat and whoever else. And then in a couple years history repeats itself with Edwards being surrounded by journeymen role players like Laphonso ellis, marko jaric, joe smith, and whoever else mchale dredged from the bottom of the scrap pile and being content to win 50 games a year, get blown out in the 1st round and then watching it decline until we are fighting for a play in berth and Edwards walks away.

Sound familiar?
So, aren't you a little concerned when it's already being reported that's exactly what ARod and Lore planned to do after this year? Not specifically getting rid of Towns, but cutting payroll.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sound familiar?
This is my fear of an ownership group that will not pay lux tax bills.

- Isaac Asimov
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:07 pm

It was back in that article. Something about Lore already covering his share of the partnership and ARod missing deadlines. I think Lore had already purchased ~30% and ARod was around 9%. Whatever the exact numbers, it was ARod who didn't come through with the final payment for his share.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:14 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:07 pm

It was back in that article. Something about Lore already covering his share of the partnership and ARod missing deadlines. I think Lore had already purchased ~30% and ARod was around 9%. Whatever the exact numbers, it was ARod who didn't come through with the final payment for his share.
Derek Jeter would have come through.

:)

- Isaac Asimov
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:09 pm

Could be. But if it’s not true, why did they miss payment deadlines? We know some of their funding fell out and they had to scramble to find another investor. There’s definitely some smoke there. That usually means fire. Maybe Lorre is worth $2.2B, but that doesn’t mean he has liquidity to manage salary with lux tax. And maybe some of these minority partners only invested with the condition that they get a certain return. A return that could be eaten into by lux tax payments.

It seems to me that ARod and Lorre are struggling to cobble together just enough to make the payments and can’t get them done on time. And the report that they don’t want to pay the lux is enough to raise my alarm on them as an ownership group.

They believe they didn’t miss payment deadlines. Who knows? Again it’s really weird that as soon as this deal allegedly fell through that Glen just wants to keep them and no longer is selling them. That’s extremely fishy and sounds like sellers remorse.

We shall see.
Sidewinder2k2

Post by Sidewinder2k2 »

SHAFA wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:00 pm
Jimi_Thing wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:44 pm

Who was the GM when Coach Finch was hired?

Who was the GM when KAT, ANT. NAZ and Jaden were drafted?

It has nothing to do with me 'believing in Glen'. My point is simple. To have a successful franchise you need a strong GM who assembles a strong squad that is led by a strong coach. Once assembled, you need an owner that's willing an ABLE to pay for that GM, Coach, and Players. Turd Taylor is able to and he's shown in the past that he's willing to pay a luxury tax if there's a team that merits it.

In contrast you have ARod & Lore who weren't able to close on a sweetheart deal and it's now being leaked that they already have plans to whittle down the roster to make it more affordable for their limited budget. Couple that with the fact that they're a couple of NY turds that wouldn't think twice to move the Wolves to a city like Nashville if they soon decide that they need a brand new stadium that's funded entirely by the taxpayers.

The Wolves are currently in the best position they've ever been. The future is bright and the foundation is extremely solid. Forgive me if I don't pretend that it's because of ARod & Lore. Because it's not.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't think any of us are "Glen homers". He is an idiot when it comes to basketball. He's old. He's stubborn. But at least he has the liquid finances to run a team. Lore/A-Fraud obviously do not, no matter what they say.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

A$$MAN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:10 pm

Sound familiar?
So, aren't you a little concerned when it's already being reported that's exactly what ARod and Lore planned to do after this year? Not specifically getting rid of Towns, but cutting payroll.
Until I see actual proof to the otherwise, i think this was a made up story presented by Glen to sway public opinion. Again, if Glen was selling his entire shares to them, why would he care about their payroll. He’s got no skin in it. So IMO this is his way to sway public opinion and trent find his way out of a bad deal he agreed to
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:11 pm

Sound familiar?
This is my fear of an ownership group that will not pay lux tax bills.
And this is my fear of a guy with a proven track record of selling off picks for cash and has ripped down a contender because of payroll.

We don’t know anything about their intentions other than a story i believe was planted by Glen.

We shall see
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:35 pm
A$$MAN wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:10 pm

Sound familiar?
Until I see actual proof to the otherwise, i think this was a made up story presented by Glen to sway public opinion. Again, if Glen was selling his entire shares to them, why would he care about their payroll. He’s got no skin in it. So IMO this is his way to sway public opinion and trent find his way out of a bad deal he agreed to
Not sure about that when the actual financial info was presented to the NBA for approval. I don't think Glen can't just make that up.

I guess it's easy for me to believe when they (ARod) has had 3 years to solidify funding and he missed multiple deadlines. Plus, from other reports, it sounds like this same thing already happened to him when they tried to purchase a different sports team (I think the Marlins).
T_J

Post by T_J »

Foundation is solid. Oh ok.

Financial crunch coming regardless of ownership. Whether that be next year or the year after. It’s not a secret they have too many big salaries. With the instability of who will actually own the team, how does that affect spending, 2nd apron, etc.

Connelly with an out in his agreement. The orchestrator of shaping the roster around Towns and Ant could walk.

Naz is gonna get paid when this sweetheart deal ends after next year. No idea how the wolves could afford him without dumping other salary.

Rudy - player option after next year. Seemed inevitable he’d pick that up, however, seems more likely he gets a long term deal. The wolves gonna offer a 3 year extension for like $90m that goes into his mid 30’s? Or does he walk after next year while we still owe the cost of getting him for 2 more years?

Towns - literally no idea what they’re gonna do here.

This feels like a house of cards. With solidified ownership, and assuming their goal isn’t to slash payroll, this would look like a promising 3-4 years, minimum. This Glen clown show routine puts a pile of needless uncertainty during an era with the highest ceiling guy this franchise has ever seen since KG.

Ant starts his supermax next year. It’s been pretty common for guys with 2-3 years left on their deal to start exploring their ways out. If this shit starts imploding, that’s not that far off and we can remember the moment Glen started this potential chain reaction.

So to those who say, “it doesn’t matter who the owner is,” I vehemently disagree and we’ve seen this same story, or a variation of this before repeatedly under Glen’s watch.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:32 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:09 pm

They believe they didn’t miss payment deadlines. Who knows? Again it’s really weird that as soon as this deal allegedly fell through that Glen just wants to keep them and no longer is selling them. That’s extremely fishy and sounds like sellers remorse.

We shall see.
I think Glen does indeed have seller’s remorse. That’s a different aspect of the argument. But there were deadlines that ARod and Lorre had to meet and apparently did not. That gave Taylor the out. I’m willing to believe that there was some bad faith involved with Taylor here. But there were multiple extensions to payment deadlines due to the new duo’s inability to meet them. That opened the door for Taylor to pull the plug.

- Isaac Asimov