Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***NFL Draft Talk***

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

Re: ***NFL Draft Talk***

Post by mlhouse »

Style wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:34 pm Detroit and San Francisco are making a legitimate case about the overall roster importance. I’ve definitely texted with my buddies about the Vikes going non-QB at 11 and 23.

Even more impressive for the 49ers is they took a big swing on Lance and whiffed, yet lived to tell about it.
What about Kansas City?

The issue in this draft is what I would call the triple witching hour. It is the confluence of events that are rare:

1. The VIkings are in range to trade up to get a potential franchise QB ;
2. This is a year with several potential franchise QB and ;
3. The talent at the position of needs for the Vikings is not high level in this draft.

I hate trading up for a QB, but this draft is the right one to do so. If this team will not do it in this draft, they will never do it. And then the only opportunity to draft a franchise QB is in a year we suck and have a top pick.... but even then it is pure luck because this level of quarterbacks are not always available in a draft year.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Style wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:34 pm Detroit and San Francisco are making a legitimate case about the overall roster importance. I’ve definitely texted with my buddies about the Vikes going non-QB at 11 and 23.

Even more impressive for the 49ers is they took a big swing on Lance and whiffed, yet lived to tell about it.
The Stafford trade was the lift off. Very smart move, not only loading up on picks but getting a competent young QB with a good arm out of the deal.

Then proceeded to make a bunch of intelligent decisions in the draft along with building a top offensive line to surround the QB.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Really good chat about the QB's. He hits the nail on the head with exactly how I felt about JJ McCarthy during the season vs digging into him as a prospect.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
kindman

Post by kindman »

Seems like staying put would be a far better option than mortgaging the future.

-There are up to 6 possibilities. We already have Darnold who may thrive in this offense and whom we paid 10mil
-If the QB we want is gone it means we are very possibly set to pick the best defender in the draft, at 11!
-There is a real chance that one of the top guys is still available

The crap shoot QBs are we could very likely be able to get the BEST defensive tackle AND our QB of the future at 23
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

kindman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:47 pm Seems like staying put would be a far better option than mortgaging the future.

-There are up to 6 possibilities. We already have Darnold who may thrive in this offense and whom we paid 10mil
-If the QB we want is gone it means we are very possibly set to pick the best defender in the draft, at 11!

The crap shoot QBs are we could very likely be able to get the BEST defensive tackle AND our QB of the future at 23
1) not impossible, but the kind of longshot hope that’s been holding this franchise back for a long time.

2) very possible, but the best defender in this draft does not project to be an elite game-changing player. There’s no Bosa or Saice at the top on this draft. Some nice players for sure, but nobody that’s going to change your franchise’s fortunes. Nobody to build a defense around.

3) depends on where you draw the line at “top guys.” I doubt any of the top-4 make it. There’s some QB needy teams ahead of us and a few just behind us that would love to leapfrog us if one did slip. If by “top guys” you mean top 5/6, then yeah, you’re probably right.

We could probably get the best DT in the draft (Murphy or Newton, depending on your preference) at 11, but again; see my point 2 above. And I doubt we’re going to get an elite QB at 23. If we do get a QB at 23, I’d argue that we do not feel he is elite.
Last edited by Beef Supreme on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:21 pm
kindman wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:47 pm Seems like staying put would be a far better option than mortgaging the future.

1) not impossible, but the kind of longshot hope that’s been holding this franchise back for a long time.

2) very possible, but the best defender in this draft does not project to be an elite game-changing player. There’s no Bosa or Saice at the top on this draft. Some nice players for sure, but nobody that’s going to change your franchise’s fortunes. Nobody to build a defense around.

3) depends on where you draw the line at “top guys.” I doubt any of the top-4 make it. There’s some QB needy teams ahead of us and a few just behind us that would love to leapfrog us if one did slip. If by “top guys” you mean top 5/6, then yeah, you’re probably right.

We could probably get the beat DT in the draft (Murphy or Newton, depending on your preference) at 11, but again; see my point 2 above. And I doubt we’re going to get an elite QB at 23. If we do get a QB at 23, I’d argue that we do not feel he is elite.
This has been my points all along. WHen I first brought up the idea that to draft JJ McCarthy you would almost certainly have to trade up from #11 several weeks ago (long before ANYONE else anywhere) most people thought I was out of it.

Normally I do not want to make such a move. But in some cases I have advocated for it such as this post on 3/2/2018 before the 2018 draft " 3. Either way, if they do not sign Cousins as a long range QB, they need to draft a QB high in this year's draft, and there would be ample justification to make a major trade up to get a guy like JOsh Allen if he slipped far enough to be in reach even if it cost them signficant future draft value."

If the guy is there and you are in "range", then you need to consider it and even more so if there really isn't a player at a position of need that has our draft pick (#11) value. Not only is there no real Bosa or Sauce, there isn't even a Anthony Barr level player in my opinion at a position we would want to take. I would consider, if QB struck out, one of the offensive tackles if the right guy is there (I have mentioned this scenario, play at LG rookie year then move to RT and let O'Neill go to save cap space). I havent looked at the top WRs enough to know if Odozune or Nabers would be worth taking a shot at with #11 in some strange draft world.

I don't think it can be repeated enough though if we strike out at QB in the top 10, all 4 of the top QBs are selected, then we pick best player available liek Terrion Arnold or Jared Verse that they have ranked. Then at #23 think Michael Penix if he is available, but if not, pick the best player there and hope Sam Darnold can develop in our offense with KOC.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:32 pm

We could probably get the beat DT in the draft (Murphy or Newton, depending on your preference) at 11, but again; see my point 2 above. And I doubt we’re going to get an elite QB at 23. If we do get a QB at 23, I’d argue that we do not feel he is elite.
This has been my points all along. WHen I first brought up the idea that to draft JJ McCarthy you would almost certainly have to trade up from #11 several weeks ago (long before ANYONE else anywhere) most people thought I was out of it.

Normally I do not want to make such a move. But in some cases I have advocated for it such as this post on 3/2/2018 before the 2018 draft " 3. Either way, if they do not sign Cousins as a long range QB, they need to draft a QB high in this year's draft, and there would be ample justification to make a major trade up to get a guy like JOsh Allen if he slipped far enough to be in reach even if it cost them signficant future draft value."

If the guy is there and you are in "range", then you need to consider it and even more so if there really isn't a player at a position of need that has our draft pick (#11) value. Not only is there no real Bosa or Sauce, there isn't even a Anthony Barr level player in my opinion at a position we would want to take. I would consider, if QB struck out, one of the offensive tackles if the right guy is there (I have mentioned this scenario, play at LG rookie year then move to RT and let O'Neill go to save cap space). I havent looked at the top WRs enough to know if Odozune or Nabers would be worth taking a shot at with #11 in some strange draft world.

I don't think it can be repeated enough though if we strike out at QB in the top 10, all 4 of the top QBs are selected, then we pick best player available liek Terrion Arnold or Jared Verse that they have ranked. Then at #23 think Michael Penix if he is available, but if not, pick the best player there and hope Sam Darnold can develop in our offense with KOC.
None of us know what will ultimately end up being the best course of action (but with hindsight it will be “obvious” to many). All we can do is take educated guesses based on what we know and what we think we might know based on other educated guesses. But it seems to me that many stars have aligned for this year to be the year that making a dramatic move up makes sense, if we can make it happen.

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:36 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:32 pm

None of us know what will ultimately end up being the best course of action (but with hindsight it will be “obvious” to many). All we can do is take educated guesses based on what we know and what we think we might know based on other educated guesses. But it seems to me that many stars have aligned for this year to be the year that making a dramatic move up makes sense, if we can make it happen.
I think every poster here has addressed this in so many different ways that any poster here will be able to brag later that they were right all along. :lol:

I just hope that if we screw this up that we don't wait another decade to take another shot. Even if we trade up. Hard to believe the Giants would go quarterback this year. Also, with Mac Jones being the 3rd best quarterback taken in that draft the Pats one would think would maybe take all the picks we are offering. But that is the Vikings' fan in me that has bought this idea that we never take a top quarterback in the draft.

This is make or break for KOA and KAM.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

We are under two weeks left!

The suspense is killing me!
Style

Post by Style »

Florio suggesting on PFT that 11 and 8 could be swapped in the Cousins tampering case.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
BigDaddyBBQ

Post by BigDaddyBBQ »

I don't know if this is the best thread for this, but I am unable to make a new thread so here goes.

Any rubes have any fun sports bars they recommend to watch the draft within 45 minutes of the metro?
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:04 pm
If this is true which its sounding more and more like it is… I think the Patriots and Vikings will make a draft day deal for Maye.

I don’t think the Pats are that enamored with Maye and obviously the Vikings are. It would surprise me if Maye is sitting there at #3 and the Vikings and Patriots don’t make a deal.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:11 pm
If this is true which its sounding more and more like it is… I think the Patriots and Vikings will make a draft day deal for Maye.

I don’t think the Pats are that enamored with Maye and obviously the Vikings are. It would surprise me if Maye is sitting there at #3 and the Vikings and Patriots don’t make a deal.
I think so too. Can’t wait to see it unfold and find out if we’re right!

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:15 pm

I think if Daniels makes it to #3 then NE takes him. The best thing that can happen for us if wanting Maye is for him to get past the #2 spot.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:17 pm

I think if Daniels makes it to #3 then NE takes him. The best thing that can happen for us if wanting Maye is for him to get past the #2 spot.
Yep. If Maye is there I think we trade to 3 for him.

If he goes 2 I think we trade to 4 or 5 for JJ, depending on how badly the Cardinals want Harrison Jr.

I saw speculation that said Harbaugh might hold a grudge with us over the interview fiasco in 2022 and not deal with us, but I don’t buy it. If we give him the best deal, I don’t think he’d hurt himself by not taking it.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

What makes you think the Patriots are not enamored with Maye?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:22 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:17 pm

Yep. If Maye is there I think we trade to 3 for him.

If he goes 2 I think we trade to 4 or 5 for JJ, depending on how badly the Cardinals want Harrison Jr.

I saw speculation that said Harbaugh might hold a grudge with us over the interview fiasco in 2022 and not deal with us, but I don’t buy it. If we give him the best deal, I don’t think he’d hurt himself by not taking it.
The best revenge he can give us is taking two 1st rounders for his game managing QB. :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:24 pm

Just what i’ve been hearing.

Nobody knows if it’s smoke or not but Daniels is the guy NE is said to be happy to take at #3. I think they would take Maye but will pass if the offer is too good and I think we give them that offer.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:27 pm

Nobody knows if it’s smoke or not but Daniels is the guy NE is said to be happy to take at #3. I think they would take Maye but will pass if the offer is too good and I think we give them that offer.
Yep. Could be legit, could be bullshit, but I see the same things all over.

We don’t know for sure. We’re just all drooling idiots waiting for dinner to be ready. Every now and then we get a whiff of something from the kitchen.
Last edited by Beef Supreme on Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

I wonder if there will be a big surprise in the draft.
And I wonder what it will be…
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:32 pm

I don’t know if it counts as a “big surprise” or not, but I have a hunch that Latu goes higher than currently projected. I know all about the neck, but all it takes is one team to think it’s not a concern and take him. He’s the best pass-rusher in the draft and those guys don’t usually go in the 20s (as he’s currently often projected).

- Isaac Asimov
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beef Supreme wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:40 pm

I don’t know if it counts as a “big surprise” or not, but I have a hunch that Latu goes higher than currently projected. I know all about the neck, but all it takes is one team to think it’s not a concern and take him. He’s the best pass-rusher in the draft and those guys don’t usually go in the 20s (as he’s currently often projected).
Latu’s medical will determine everything for him. With fused bones in his neck tteee might be significant concerns around the NFL about selecting him. I woukd not be surprised is many teams have him completely removed from their boards and some others with him off their first round rankings because of the contract guarantees.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:55 pm

Latu’s medical will determine everything for him. With fused bones in his neck tteee might be significant concerns around the NFL about selecting him. I woukd not be surprised is many teams have him completely removed from their boards and some others with him off their first round rankings because of the contract guarantees.
Yeah. He could fall to “take a flier” territory on day 3 too.

His injuries are a lot more serious than Penix’s, in my opinion. Fused vertebrae? Yikes!

But he’s a better, twitchier, more explosive pass-rusher than Turner or Verse and has a better arsenal of moves. He’s better with his hands too. He’s just better than they are at getting to the QB.

With a clean injury history, he’s a top-10 pick and the first defensive player off the board, in my opinion.

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

I wonder who will be the surprise slide.
Hoop Dreams
***Official 2022 Froob Bracket Winner***

Post by Hoop Dreams »

Eroder wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:13 pm That settles it. Hoop is right!
Eroder wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm Hoop is right again!!
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

It’s official. The Vikings choices will be Maye or McCarthy for a trade up. Schefter basically confirmed Washington is taking Daniels.

Thank you… fuck you… bye!
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Keep in mind that Schefter is also quoted saying that his gut tells him that the Giants will not trade up or select a QB at 6. Matt Miller of ESPN had an article that was paywalled for me that said that he talked to a high ranking Giants official, who basically said Daboll and co are feeling the heat in terms of their employment with NYG. That official said he doesn’t believe the Giants will take a QB if Nabers or MHJ are available.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Beetlejuice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:16 pm Keep in mind that Schefter is also quoted saying that his gut tells him that the Giants will not trade up or select a QB at 6. Matt Miller of ESPN had an article that was paywalled for me that said that he talked to a high ranking Giants official, who basically said Daboll and co are feeling the heat in terms of their employment with NYG. That official said he doesn’t believe the Giants will take a QB if Nabers or MHJ are available.
How do those receivers become available if there is a QB available?

Basically if there is one of the top 4 QBs available for the Giants to pick the draft would go WIlliams-Daniels-Maye/McCarthy-Harrison-Nabers---> Giants? Right?

IF they have the opportunity to draft Nabers or MHJ at 6 that means the draft went QB-QB-QB-QB-WR-------> Giants

I think in scenario 1, with McCarthy or Maye available, they go QB. THey just take what the draft brings to 6 and sometimes that is by far the best move.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:37 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:16 pm Keep in mind that Schefter is also quoted saying that his gut tells him that the Giants will not trade up or select a QB at 6. Matt Miller of ESPN had an article that was paywalled for me that said that he talked to a high ranking Giants official, who basically said Daboll and co are feeling the heat in terms of their employment with NYG. That official said he doesn’t believe the Giants will take a QB if Nabers or MHJ are available.
How do those receivers become available if there is a QB available?

Basically if there is one of the top 4 QBs available for the Giants to pick the draft would go WIlliams-Daniels-Maye/McCarthy-Harrison-Nabers---> Giants? Right?

IF they have the opportunity to draft Nabers or MHJ at 6 that means the draft went QB-QB-QB-QB-WR-------> Giants

I think in scenario 1, with McCarthy or Maye available, they go QB. THey just take what the draft brings to 6 and sometimes that is by far the best move.
Maybe Jim “Captain O-Line” Harbaugh takes Alt at 5?

IDK…

- Isaac Asimov