Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikes trade for another 1st round pick

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Offsides 97 defense

Re: Vikes trade for another 1st round pick

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

DP
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

There is a real possibility of the Vikings moving up to draft JJ if Maye is gone and they don’t get into the top 3.

There is no possibility however they are drafting JJ if Maye is there or they are picking #3. It’s not that hard to understand.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm There is a real possibility of the Vikings moving up to draft JJ if Maye is gone and they don’t get into the top 3.

There is no possibility however they are drafting JJ if Maye is there or they are picking #3. It’s not that hard to understand.
I agree this move today was for either Maye or JJ McCarthy. Those are the plans. What I don't know is what they would do if Jayden "Jack" Daniels would fall in their lap. I don't know that KOC could adjust to his strengths.
Bob Wiley

Post by Bob Wiley »

Per Bleacher Reoprt:

But the plan seems obvious now: The Vikings plan to trade up for a quarterback.
Minnesota traded this year's 42nd and 188th overall picks, plus a 2025 second-round selection, to the Houston Texans for this year's 23rd and 232nd picks on Friday, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. The extra first-rounder is key, because the Vikings now own the 11th and 23rd picks. They could trade up to get into the top 10 and potentially select McCarthy or whichever quarterback remains available.
Whomever they select will be crucial to the franchise's long-term stability.
While the Vikings won only one playoff game during Cousins' six seasons in purple and yellow, he did provide credibility. Minnesota is now missing a key component that will be vital during the ongoing contract negotiations with superstar wide receiver Jordan Jefferson, who is about to enter the last season of his rookie deal.
An immediate solution through the draft is in the franchise's best interests, so the rookie quarterback can grow with the 24-year-old Jefferson over time.
The Vikings were already sitting in front of the Denver Broncos and Las Vegas Raiders in the current draft order. Their trade with the Texans on Friday makes them the best-positioned among the quarterback-starved teams to come away with McCarthy.
"Dude, my IQ and education level is a 1,000 times more than yours. I whip everyone's ass here and they cannot hold a candle to me." mlhouse
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:44 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm There is a real possibility of the Vikings moving up to draft JJ if Maye is gone and they don’t get into the top 3.

I agree this move today was for either Maye or JJ McCarthy. Those are the plans. What I don't know is what they would do if Jayden "Jack" Daniels would fall in their lap. I don't know that KOC could adjust to his strengths.
I don't think this move is for McCarthy at all at least I don't think they are so dumb to give up two first-rounders and some other picks for McCarthy
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

cdr2529 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:48 pm

I don't think this move is for McCarthy or Daniels and Williams at all at least I don't think they are so dumb to give up two first-rounders and some other picks for McCarthy
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

I don't think this move is for McCarthy at all at least I don't think they are so dumb to give up two first-rounders and some other picks for McCarthy
Offsides 97 defense

To clarify, my scenario would have been if Drake Maye had already been taken. Of course, I don't think JJ is the better prospect than Maye. However, we don't know what other teams have in store. We're not the only team in the top fifteen that is quarterback-thirsty in an excellent quarterback draft.

I jumped the gun and assumed everyone here had an IQ above an earthquake reading. Then again, the aforementioned poster told us Alexander Mattison would easily replace Dalvin Cook's production.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:50 pm

JJ McCarthy is a very good QB prospect. There is absolutely no doubt about that. If he stays at Michigan for 2024 he is the top pick in the 2025 draft. No doubt about that either.

The biggest criticism of McCarthy is he "didn't do much". But if you watch his games he makes many more NFL window throws than any of the other prospects in this draft. The Big Ten defenses are just that much better than Pac-12 (Nix or Pennix or Williams) or the ACC (Maye). For some weird reason (maybe I should watch that game) McCarthy three 3 INTs against Bowling Green. He three ONE more INT the entire rest of the season.
Offsides 97 defense

Just get the third pick, Minnesota, and you have nothing else to worry about. One of those three will be there. It will cost another first-rounder, though. Numbers 11 and 23 are not enough to get #3.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
Señor Trumpo

Post by Señor Trumpo »

I keep coming back to this as if they already know.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:48 pm
Beetlejuice wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:46 pm All signs point to Drake Maye. It was reported at the combine that the Vikings had discussions with NE about trading up to 3. I think McShay is right and we will know what pick the Vikings got very soon.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
This is really interesting.

I'll say off the rip that JJ as a person in the interview process is more impressive to me than Drake Maye.

That's a big part of the reason why I project him as getting better and I trust him to develop.
Offsides 97 defense

And yes, last year, the Texans moved up to number three with a first, a high second, and a fourth, but that was not for an elite QB prospect. That was for a defensive end. The Vikings will have to give something else up from next year. I just hope it is to New England.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:00 pm
I keep coming back to this as if they already know.

Eye Ball Emoji
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:57 pm

JJ McCarthy is a very good QB prospect. There is absolutely no doubt about that. If he stays at Michigan for 2024 he is the top pick in the 2025 draft. No doubt about that either.

The biggest criticism of McCarthy is he "didn't do much". But if you watch his games he makes many more NFL window throws than any of the other prospects in this draft. The Big Ten defenses are just that much better than Pac-12 (Nix or Pennix or Williams) or the ACC (Maye). For some weird reason (maybe I should watch that game) McCarthy three 3 INTs against Bowling Green. He three ONE more INT the entire rest of the season.

The fact that it happened vs Bowling Green and not Alabama or Ohio State is good.

That happening vs Bowling Green is more of a fluke and a bad day at the office.
WayneVikes

Post by WayneVikes »

We brought back Theo Jackson rather quickly a few weeks ago. Both Quinn and Mayo are defensive minded coaches. That being said, here's my offer to both of them..11, 23, Bynum, and a day three pick in 2025 in exchange for either the 2nd or 3rd overall and a 4th rounder this year. Not sure if we'd be getting the 4th rounder out of these deals, but that would give us three 4's this year. Which could help us get back into day two sense we're currently without a day two pick. As far as Jackson replacing Bynum, excellent if we hit on him. If not, we'll be able to buy a quality safety in free agency next year when we have a ton of cash to spend. But I do believe a young player of Bynum's caliber will be the sweetener that will get us either the 2nd or 3rd overall without having to come off of any other substantial draft capitol in 2025
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

WayneVikes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:37 pm We brought back Theo Jackson rather quickly a few weeks ago. Both Quinn and Mayo are defensive minded coaches. That being said, here's my offer to both of them..11, 23, Bynum, and a day three pick in 2025 in exchange for either the 2nd or 3rd overall and a 4th rounder this year. Not sure if we'd be getting the 4th rounder out of these deals, but that would give us three 4's this year. Which could help us get back into day two sense we're currently without a day two pick. As far as Jackson replacing Bynum, excellent if we hit on him. If not, we'll be able to buy a quality safety in free agency next year when we have a ton of cash to spend. But I do believe a young player of Bynum's caliber will be the sweetener that will get us either the 2nd or 3rd overall without having to come off of any other substantial draft capitol in 2025
That trade bait will not get the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. I think at least 11, 23, 2025 1st round pick and at least another pick like a 2nd or 3rd round pick 2025 or 2026.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

Offsides 97 defense wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:57 pm Just get the third pick, Minnesota, and you have nothing else to worry about. One of those three will be there. It will cost another first-rounder, though. Numbers 11 and 23 are not enough to get #3.
I would make the trade need if possible and not wait on draft day
Roadskol

Post by Roadskol »

William Munny wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:59 pm
WayneVikes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:37 pm We brought back Theo Jackson rather quickly a few weeks ago. Both Quinn and Mayo are defensive minded coaches. That being said, here's my offer to both of them..11, 23, Bynum, and a day three pick in 2025 in exchange for either the 2nd or 3rd overall and a 4th rounder this year. Not sure if we'd be getting the 4th rounder out of these deals, but that would give us three 4's this year. Which could help us get back into day two sense we're currently without a day two pick. As far as Jackson replacing Bynum, excellent if we hit on him. If not, we'll be able to buy a quality safety in free agency next year when we have a ton of cash to spend. But I do believe a young player of Bynum's caliber will be the sweetener that will get us either the 2nd or 3rd overall without having to come off of any other substantial draft capitol in 2025
That trade bait will not get the 2nd, 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. I think at least 11, 23, 2025 1st round pick and at least another pick like a 2nd or 3rd round pick 2025 or 2026.
It won’t cost that much. I would say the two firsts this year and a swap of our 1st for a 2nd next year should get it done. For two and the assurance of Drake Maye, give them our first next year.
jffl_commish

Post by jffl_commish »

No trading next year's #1. Look what happened to Carolina doing that.
Let's get Tropical
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

Roadskol wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:29 pm
William Munny wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:59 pm
It won’t cost that much. I would say the two firsts this year and a swap of our 1st for a 2nd next year should get it done. For two and the assurance of Drake Maye, give them our first next year.
You really think so? The Giants, Broncos, Raiders and other teams need a long-term solution at QB as well. I am pretty sure that they can be just as aggressive in moving up. I still stick by my guestimation.
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:34 pm No trading next year's #1. Look what happened to Carolina doing that.
I would trade next year's pick if it meant we get the No.1 or No. 2
cdr2529

Post by cdr2529 »

jffl_commish wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:34 pm No trading next year's #1. Look what happened to Carolina doing that.
I would trade next year's pick if it meant we get the No.1 or No. 2
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Hector wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:44 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:26 am
Hector wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:56 am

You have a point. I'd do 11, Justin Jefferson and next years back of the round, 1st rounder for Caleb.

Could you imagine ending up with Caleb, Thomas Jr. And Sweat in this years draft?
You just cant help yourself on JJ can you? :lol:

Here, I will give you the one way even I would trade JJ. Lets just magically pretend the dead cap hit somehow the Chargers could manage, then lets pretend Harbaugh is a moron who would trade away a top end qb in mid 20s. 11, 23 future 2nd or 3rd and JJ for Herbert. Lets go! :lol:

There is ZERO fucking chance he is traded and it would be moronic to do so, can we stop wasting time on this?
Im more starting to wonder If every thing were great, why hasn't he signed?

It's rumor season... enjoy.
Theoretically its possible but there has never been any indication of that from him prior that he is diva-ish.
Offsides 97 defense

nobelichickin2025

Reply #9 posted 10 hours ago via mobile SG88 likes thisQuotePost OptionsPost by nobelichickin2025 on 10 hours ago

I really hate the Vikings

First they set us back 2-3 years making Jones look good

Now they are gonna jump us for McCarthy when we are ready to move on from Jones

Hey Minnesota, F YOU!

https://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/th ... p-front-qb

I lol''ed a little.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
OGR

Post by OGR »

It will be Maye that is why we moved up

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2024- ... j-mccarthy
OGR

Post by OGR »

Of course it’s not for McCarthy. He’s likely a back up at the next level.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

OGR wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:24 pm It will be Maye that is why we moved up

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2024- ... j-mccarthy
Nah, the Viklings want McCarthy.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Da Gas Man's Ghost wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:21 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 am
Teams keep trying to sign KJ but every time they hand him the pen to sign, he drops it.
:lol:
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Señor Trumpo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:53 am
This is spot on, they have a plan and have been talking to teams high in the draft on what they would want already.