Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

Re: Drake Maye or J.J. McCarthy?

Post by mlhouse »

D_H wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:24 pm

Yeah, but you compared JJ McCarthy to Josh Allen dude you’re never gonna live that down - that was simply preposterous! lolololo

Chad Henne 2.0
Best arm talent in the draft and superior mobility ----> Josh Allen.

Best arm talent in the draft and superior mobility ----> JJ McCarthy

Pretty dead on comp.
D_H

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:50 am

Yeah, but you compared JJ McCarthy to Josh Allen dude you’re never gonna live that down - that was simply preposterous! lolololo

Chad Henne 2.0

Pretty dead on comp.
You’re really embarrassing yourself
Butch Bradford

Post by Butch Bradford »

D_H wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:04 am

Chad Henne 2.0

Pretty dead on comp.
I think you are, D_H.

First you were all in all Penix but now that thread has sunk to the bottom.

Now Maye.

Flip, flop.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Chad Henne 2.0

Pretty dead on comp.
Everyone in the whole world knows coming from you that statement is a complement. Thanks!
D_H

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:38 am

Pretty dead on comp.
Think about it you compared JJ McCarthy to Josh Allen it’s simply absurd and everybody knows it

Everyone in the whole world knows coming from you that statement is a complement. Thanks!
D_H

Post by D_H »

Butch Bradford wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:34 am

Pretty dead on comp.
I think you are, D_H.

First you were all in all Penix but now that thread has sunk to the bottom.

Now Maye.

Flip, flop.

Still like him I have ranked as a third best quarterback coming out. I completely agree with Kurt Warner’s assessment.
D_H

Post by D_H »

“[The Vikings] make the bold move to go get a quarterback, which they must do,” Prisco wrote. “Drake Maye is rumored to be their top guy.”
Drake Maye rumored to be the top target for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2024 NFL Draft
The Vikings' connection to Maye makes sense. Maye played for new Minnesota quarterback coach Josh McCown at Myers Park High School in Charlotte, North Carolina, and McCown would routinely review his film alongside current Vikings starting quarterback Sam Darnold as he flew back and forth between Charlotte for Maye’s high school games and New York to be Darnold’s backup with the Jets.
William Munny

Post by William Munny »

D_H wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:59 am “[The Vikings] make the bold move to go get a quarterback, which they must do,” Prisco wrote. “Drake Maye is rumored to be their top guy.”
Drake Maye rumored to be the top target for the Minnesota Vikings in the 2024 NFL Draft
The Vikings' connection to Maye makes sense. Maye played for new Minnesota quarterback coach Josh McCown at Myers Park High School in Charlotte, North Carolina, and McCown would routinely review his film alongside current Vikings starting quarterback Sam Darnold as he flew back and forth between Charlotte for Maye’s high school games and New York to be Darnold’s backup with the Jets.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Guy on KFAN ripping JJ McCarthy right now days tape in not first round talent lol

Exactly my assessment and Kurt Warner’s assessment
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

D_H wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:38 am Guy on KFAN ripping JJ McCarthy right now days tape in not first round talent lol

Hard to say. He didn't throw enough. Harbaugh is the modern day ground chuck. I am not convinced that mccarthy is the guy.
witljon

Post by witljon »

Obi-Wan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:46 am
D_H wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:38 am Guy on KFAN ripping JJ McCarthy right now days tape in not first round talent lol

Hard to say. He didn't throw enough. Harbaugh is the modern day ground chuck. I am not convinced that mccarthy is the guy.
That’s where I’m at with McCarthy. There’s a few rubes who get defensive when they read “game manager” but that’s pretty much what he was in college. I watched several Michigan games. I wish Harbaugh would have put more on his plate. In the championship game McCarthy only passed for 140 yards against Penix’s 255 passing yards while Michigan rushed for over 300 yards. We are suppose to disregard McCarthy’s college games and buy the hype on his potential. For me , it’s hard to do. I’m not saying he won’t be a good pro. I’m saying i’m not convinced. I really have my doubts because he didn’t show much in his college career.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:39 am

That’s where I’m at with McCarthy. There’s a few rubes who get defensive when they read “game manager” but that’s pretty much what he was in college. I watched several Michigan games. I wish Harbaugh would have put more on his plate. In the championship game McCarthy only passed for 140 yards against Penix’s 255 passing yards while Michigan rushed for over 300 yards. We are suppose to disregard McCarthy’s college games and buy the hype on his potential. For me , it’s hard to do. I’m not saying he won’t be a good pro. I’m saying i’m not convinced. I really have my doubts because he didn’t show much in his college career.
There is a highlight video of McCarthy where the producer stacks all his good throws on top of each other and the games in order.

I came away from that thinking McCarthy was absolutely surgical because you could see it play out in order of the season. Managing the game by carving teams up with 1st downs and moving the chains. It keeps your offense on the field and your defense on the bench.

The one thing McCarthy does have that these other QB's do not is essentially running a Pro Offense. All these other QB's are throwing from the gun on every single snap. He can clean up some of his drop backs and how wide his base can get but it looks smooth.

And with most of these QB's they have something in their game that's got to be cleaned up or adjusted to thrive in the NFL. Most of them are really talented so your taking for your swing with a guy work ethic, coachability, durability and drive to be great.

Another thing I will add here is that every single one of these QB's is likely to struggle if they don't have a good team and coaching staff. What we do know with McCarthy is that when he had his chance with a good team he didn't choke. There was a lot more that went into getting to the championship game than the actually game because of how bad Washington got beat in the trenches. Vs other games like Alabama. It's kinda like the year the Saints won the SB. The biggest hurdle was clearly the Vikings and we all know there was a lot more to how that even happened. The Colts weren't nearly the overall challenge.

However I do agree that it would have been nice to see McCarthy have to do more in that title game.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

I wonder if Drake has a better arm than his old man?

witljon

Re:

Post by witljon »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:13 pm

There is a highlight video of McCarthy where the producer stacks all his good throws on top of each other and the games in order.

I came away from that thinking McCarthy was absolutely surgical because you could see it play out in order of the season. Managing the game by carving teams up with 1st downs and moving the chains. It keeps your offense on the field and your defense on the bench.

The one thing McCarthy does have that these other QB's do not is essentially running a Pro Offense. All these other QB's are throwing from the gun on every single snap. He can clean up some of his drop backs and how wide his base can get but it looks smooth.

And with most of these QB's they have something in their game that's got to be cleaned up or adjusted to thrive in the NFL. Most of them are really talented so your taking for your swing with a guy work ethic, coachability, durability and drive to be great.

Another thing I will add here is that every single one of these QB's is likely to struggle if they don't have a good team and coaching staff. What we do know with McCarthy is that when he had his chance with a good team he didn't choke. There was a lot more that went into getting to the championship game than the actually game because of how bad Washington got beat in the trenches. Vs other games like Alabama. It's kinda like the year the Saints won the SB. The biggest hurdle was clearly the Vikings and we all know there was a lot more to how that even happened. The Colts weren't nearly the overall challenge.

However I do agree that it would have been nice to see McCarthy have to do more in that title game.
I watched McCarthy against Minnesota, Ohio State, Iowa, Alabama, Penn State, Maryland, and Washington. The only game I was impressed was against Alabama, but will admit I didn’t see the whole game in some.
mlhouse

Re: Re:

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:30 pm

I watched McCarthy against Minnesota, Ohio State, Iowa, Alabama, Penn State, Maryland, and Washington. The only game I was impressed was against Alabama, but will admit I didn’t see the whole game in some.
If you were not impressed with teh Ohio St game, 16 out of 20, 148 yards then you clearly are missing things.

Lastly, if you really want to analyze a player for draft purposes (about the only reason I watch college football) you need to isolate the player from the actual game. YOu watch the film.

McCarthy really only had two bad games, Bowling Green and Maryland in 2023. HIs game film shows a NFL quarterback, running a NFL offense, making NFL throws into NFL windows. Its better than Drake Maye's 2023 film for sure.
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:37 pm

If you were not impressed with teh Ohio St game, 16 out of 20, 148 yards then you clearly are missing things.

Lastly, if you really want to analyze a player for draft purposes (about the only reason I watch college football) you need to isolate the player from the actual game. YOu watch the film.

McCarthy really only had two bad games, Bowling Green and Maryland in 2023. HIs game film shows a NFL quarterback, running a NFL offense, making NFL throws into NFL windows. Its better than Drake Maye's 2023 film for sure.
Like I said, I didn’t see some of the games from start to finish, but I do believe I watched all of the Ohio State game. If I remember correctly the Ohio State QB McCord passed for twice as many yards as McCarthy. (But he had WR Marvin Harrison)
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:47 pm

Like I said, I didn’t see some of the games from start to finish, but I do believe I watched all of the Ohio State game. If I remember correctly the Ohio State QB McCord passed for twice as many yards as McCarthy. (But he had WR Marvin Harrison)
Scouting by box score is the dumbest thing to do ever. WHo cares how many yards the other QB passed for. The NCAA record holder for most passing yards is none other than Case Keenum. In 2nd place is Timmy Chang. Sam Hartman, who will be in the 2024 draft is ranked 5th all time in passing yards. I guess we should consider him at 11.
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:04 pm

Scouting by box score is the dumbest thing to do ever. WHo cares how many yards the other QB passed for. The NCAA record holder for most passing yards is none other than Case Keenum. In 2nd place is Timmy Chang. Sam Hartman, who will be in the 2024 draft is ranked 5th all time in passing yards. I guess we should consider him at 11.
You my friend, are the one who thinks I’m clearly missing things if I’m not impressed with 16 for 20 for 148 yards.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:30 pm

You my friend, are the one who thinks I’m clearly missing things if I’m not impressed with 16 for 20 for 148 yards.
80% completion rate against a top level Big Ten defense. If you scout box scores you are not even close to having a legitimate opinion.
SKOLTROL

Post by SKOLTROL »

NFL Insider @caplannfl says Michigan QB JJ McCarthy has been compared by NFL evaluators to Kenny Pickett “due to his inability to drive the ball down the field.”

“One personnel source did not grade him as a first-rounder due to some limitations in his game.”
Spoiler:
:fight:
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:12 pm
witljon wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:30 pm

80% completion rate against a top level Big Ten defense. If you scout box scores you are not even close to having a legitimate opinion.
Says the one who scouts box scores….
D_H

Post by D_H »

Too funny!!!!

Caleb Williams: Heisman winner

Jayden Daniels: Heisman winner

Drake Maye: 5000 total yards and 45 TDs as a 20 year-old

JJ McCarthy: I know he didn’t do much, but I promise you he can

I must confess this made me laugh out loud! I will give his agent credit He’s doing a hell of a job of propping up his guy.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Scout on JJ lol

When airing it out, he struggles with touch and loft.

This sometimes gives DBs (defensive backs) a window to make a play on the ball.

On tape, against TCU, he's shown a glaring deficiency in throws to the boundary on the right side, hinting at a potential mechanical flaw in his release or footwork.

His dropbacks sometimes lack the crispness and rhythm, causing him to telegraph throws, especially on out routes, giving corners a jump on the ball.

Threw 3 very poor interceptions against an atrocious Bowling Green Green team. Huge red flag they had him confused.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

D_H wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:29 pm Too funny!!!!

I must confess this made me laugh out loud! I will give his agent credit He’s doing a hell of a job of propping up his guy.
I do believe he can be a good developmental QB. I’d be thrilled to get him at 23 and let him sit a year.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:04 am

I do believe he can be a good developmental QB. I’d be thrilled to get him at 23 and let him sit a year.
I think you've got to stick and pick JJ if you want him.

I'm only moving up to get Daniels because his ceiling is sky high.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

All I care is we don’t trade up for anyone not named Williams, Daniels and Maye.

I’ll support whoever they draft at #11 there are guys I like more than others but please don’t trade up for anyone after the big 3.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:41 am All I care is we don’t trade up for anyone not named Williams, Daniels and Maye.

I’ll support whoever they draft at #11 there are guys I like more than others but please don’t trade up for anyone after the big 3.
I'm really on the fence about trading up for Maye. He's boom or bust. I have no problem drafting him if they had the actual pick without trading for it.

To risky for me. I'm keeping the picks and doing something else.

And I personally take risks so it's not like I'm super safe mode. I just like other QB's enough you don't have to move up.
D_H

Post by D_H »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:04 am

I’ve seen nothing that leads me to believe he’s anything more than a back up quarterback. He has absolutely no elite skill that stands out by any means.

Before the national championship game, he was considered a second round pic, he played like shit and now he’s moving up the draft board????? lol I call BS - it’s nothing more than his agent putting out propaganda. He’s a back up.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Drake Maye - KOC will trade his left nut plus picks for him.

JJ - Unsure. They’ve definitely did their homework but will they give up the picks for him?

Penix - Backup in case they don’t trade up.
Thank you… fuck you… bye!
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:58 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:41 am All I care is we don’t trade up for anyone not named Williams, Daniels and Maye.

I'm really on the fence about trading up for Maye. He's boom or bust. I have no problem drafting him if they had the actual pick without trading for it.

To risky for me. I'm keeping the picks and doing something else.

And I personally take risks so it's not like I'm super safe mode. I just like other QB's enough you don't have to move up.
Understandable as it’s going to take a lot to get him. I still think they end up trading up to get him. It seems to weird they traded with HOU to just use both picks.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master