Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

***Official Suns vs. Wolves Play Off Thread***

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves
witljon

Re: ***Official Suns vs. Wolves Play Off Thread***

Post by witljon »

aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 pm
witljon wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:16 pm

And you can get away with that style of play more in the playoffs than regular season. They need to constantly hammer this soft team. Don’t bale them out. If they do that consistently, i see the Wolves winning this series.
It sounds good, but also could be foul trouble.
I’ll take my chances in the playoffs that some physical play will be allowed.!Besides isn’t depth a strength of ours?
Do the Suns have a better starting 5, but our bench is better?
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

witljon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 am
witljon wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 pm

It sounds good, but also could be foul trouble.
I’ll take my chances in the playoffs that some physical play will be allowed.!Besides isn’t depth a strength of ours?
I think you need to define better. Offensively, yes they are better. Defensively, not a chance.

Yes, we are a much deeper team with a better bench.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

A$$MAN wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:34 am
witljon wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 am

I think you need to define better. Offensively, yes they are better. Defensively, not a chance.

Yes, we are a much deeper team with a better bench.
The Suns bench is razor thin. Let’s not forget too that Grayson Allen has a history of choking in the playoffs as well. I think he got benched last year when Milwaukee fell to Miami.

Like say, we just need to play much better. Limit turnovers, play physical smart basketball and i think we should win the series 4-2
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I’m a lot less doom and gloom about this a week later than I was after game 82.

There are a lot of factors to this matchup on our end. Towns has to score efficiently and we have to figure out who he can guard . Gobert has to guard the paint despite Nurkic trying to draw him out (I know he’s not a 3pt threat, but he likes to operate away from the basket). McDaniels needs to find a way to contribute. Conley needs to be able to guard people. Rough defensive matchups for him too. Etc.

But most importantly, Edwards needs to finally ascend to superstardom. He’s arrived as a force in the NBA. That mark is in tear-view. But he needs to be the best player on the court. He needs to be the matchup nightmare of all matchup nightmares in this series. It’s his team now. It’s his time now. He can’t average 14ppg against these guys like he did in the regular season. He’s got to more than double that. He’s the most important piece here.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm I’m a lot less doom and gloom about this a week later than I was after game 82.

There are a lot of factors to this matchup on our end. Towns has to score efficiently and we have to figure out who he can guard . Gobert has to guard the paint despite Nurkic trying to draw him out (I know he’s not a 3pt threat, but he likes to operate away from the basket). McDaniels needs to find a way to contribute. Conley needs to be able to guard people. Rough defensive matchups for him too. Etc.

But most importantly, Edwards needs to finally ascend to superstardom. He’s arrived as a force in the NBA. That mark is in tear-view. But he needs to be the best player on the court. He needs to be the matchup nightmare of all matchup nightmares in this series. It’s his team now. It’s his time now. He can’t average 14ppg against these guys like he did in the regular season. He’s got to more than double that. He’s the most important piece here.
I'm with you on this. We are winning this series in 6!
somuchyummy

Post by somuchyummy »

so Ant is throwing a little shade the refs way BEFORE the series? Sometimes the Manchild is just a Child.
There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm I’m a lot less doom and gloom about this a week later than I was after game 82.

People act like this Suns team is the reincarnation of the Bulls or Warriors teams that won 65 plus games.

This is also a team that isn’t on a tear or anything like that. Yea we caught them at a bad time and we got spanked by them. But conversely; the few games in between they played the Wolves, they were down 35-4 to a Leonard less Clippers team and they BARRLY won to a Clippers team that was resting their top 6 guys. They were losing in the 4th to them. Then the next game they were down 16 to Sac in the 2nd half before storming back. They lost 3 of 4 to the Spurs too this season.

Im willing to bet we see some pretty crappy games by this Suns squad in this series. It’s been like this all season with them. One good game, one game where they are awful.

I think the 1st game is so important in this series. We
need to get some mojo back and play confidently and punish small ball like we did all season.
A$$MAN

Post by A$$MAN »

aztimberwolves wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 pm

People act like this Suns team is the reincarnation of the Bulls or Warriors teams that won 65 plus games.

This is also a team that isn’t on a tear or anything like that. Yea we caught them at a bad time and we got spanked by them. But conversely; the few games in between they played the Wolves, they were down 35-4 to a Leonard less Clippers team and they BARRLY won to a Clippers team that was resting their top 6 guys. They were losing in the 4th to them. Then the next game they were down 16 to Sac in the 2nd half before storming back. They lost 3 of 4 to the Spurs too this season.

Im willing to bet we see some pretty crappy games by this Suns squad in this series. It’s been like this all season with them. One good game, one game where they are awful.

I think the 1st game is so important in this series. We
need to get some mojo back and play confidently and punish small ball like we did all season.
I still don't even know how that's possible. Absolutely insane.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

Turtle Lake money is on the Suns, hard.

My body, my choice.
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

This Suns team has offensive firepower from their stars. Correct. They shoot a ton of shots from the midrange negating some of the value of Gobert effecting shots around the rim because a lot of the time they aren't looking to get to the rim. That's a wrinkle that could be important and how the team addresses that part of the game.

I see them often bring a second guy or gap help to slow down Edwards and get the ball out of his hands. Which will likely how they will defend as the series starts. If it ain't broke. think what may be important is if they can pass out of those situations work the ball around to shooters and also guys that like to attack the closeout. Naz, Nickeil, Slomo, Conley at times. Karl too if he plays a bit more in control. Getting them out of position from passing out of double teams and attacking a rotating closeout will be a big factor because Phoenix is weak inside. After Nurkic, it's Drew Eubanks. Like, come on.

Phoenix is shallow. After Royce O'Neal, you've got the corpse of Eric Gordon, Okogie, Bol Bol, Eubanks. Guys that really shouldn't see significant minutes in a playoff series. If you can get to those guys. It should be a wrap.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
YBBR

Post by YBBR »

I mean Eric Gordon is still fine. He's definitely playable. The Suns are about 7 deep. After O'Neal and Gordon you're dipping into some very niche circumstance and questionable players.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 pm Turtle Lake money is on the Suns, hard.

Bet it then. Show the receipt and see how it goes..

You’ve already ad naseum have gone over the odds for a Suns sweep and 4-1 scenarios. Put your money where your mouth is and bet it.

I’ve watched this Suns team all year and they probably played their 2 best games of the year against the Wolves. They are wildly inconsistent, turn the ball over at a high rate, and have huge defensive lapses.

playoffs tend to go the way of law of averages from the season, so i’m sure we will see the Suns weaknesses a lot this series.
BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Start fast, limit turnovers, make quick decisions and move the ball. Don’t sleep walk the first 5 minutes.
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

aztimberwolves wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:54 pm
LwnmwrMan222 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 pm Turtle Lake money is on the Suns, hard.

Bet it then. Show the receipt and see how it goes..

You’ve already ad naseum have gone over the odds for a Suns sweep and 4-1 scenarios. Put your money where your mouth is and bet it.

I’ve watched this Suns team all year and they probably played their 2 best games of the year against the Wolves. They are wildly inconsistent, turn the ball over at a high rate, and have huge defensive lapses.

playoffs tend to go the way of law of averages from the season, so i’m sure we will see the Suns weaknesses a lot this series.
Dude, just put me on ignore.

I obviously get under your skin for whatever reason.

I was at Turtle Lake, thought I would see where the money is being bet locally, and posted it

I do have 2 tickets on the Wolves. Got them back in November.

I have $50 on them to win the Western Conference finals that'll pay $850.

I have $100 on them to win the NBA championship that'll pay $2,000.

I posted the odds last week, because after the last game against the Suns, how absolutely pathetic the Wolves looked against them in a game they needed to have the 1 seed, a lot of people here were saying it's a first round exit.

I posted it twice. It's hardly "ad nauseam".

Simply put me on ignore, and your days will be better.
My body, my choice.
LordNu

Post by LordNu »

This will be over before I wake up. Go team!
BBG

Post by BBG »

There isn't much wolves/Suns content in this thread on GameDay.

Nice job, Bozos
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

BBG wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 am There isn't much wolves/Suns content in this thread on GameDay.

Nice job, Bozos
Shouldn't there be an official game day thread?

Aren't we all waiting for yummy to wake up and get one started?
My body, my choice.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

BuDG123

Post by BuDG123 »

Hope they can focus. That’s why a Denver win, or a win against Phoenix in a big pressure game to gain in the standings to get homecourt was so important, like a warmup for the playoffs to get hot at the right time..we kinda blew that. We like to just flip a switch, and I hope we can but typically you want to be peaking come playoffs..we are trying to figure out how to get Karl back in the groove and have our best player playing his worst ball all year. I think this is why they need to come out and force the action and set the tone, don’t let the game come to them.

Alexander-Walker on Booker, he’s 0-9 shooting in that limited matchup this year- keep that going. Stop dribble penetration.

Put McDaniel on Durant, expect the elbow middy or kick out 3’s form there, play those passing lanes. Don’t foul, just contest.

PHX likes the mid range. We need to dominate the boards, block out weak side rebounding flashing in between our bigs. We lose way to many boards on 3 or 4 on 1 scenarios because they sneak in and steal it from the backside while we all look at each other wondering how we don’t have the ball..
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

suns are 35-18 since they got healthy. i think all the optimistic wolves talks is whistling past the graveyard until they show they can beat this team. hopefully that's today.
SHAFA

Post by SHAFA »

4-2 Phoenix, but I really hope I’m wrong.
BBG

Post by BBG »

I haven't let myself buy into the idea that the wolves can win. I haven't seen it in 2 decades. Sure, I see a path to victory but wins don't happen here.

Suns in 6.

But, if we can win today and out scheme what they did to us in 3 games, I'll let myself believe
LwnmwrMan222

Post by LwnmwrMan222 »

If the Wolves can win the game today, the series goes at least six games..

If it goes six games, they have a chance to win this series.

If they win this series, they go to the finals.

I say everything rides on today's game.

If they get blown out today, like they did the last game, and pretty much every other game against the Suns all year, there's a good chance they get swept.
My body, my choice.
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

weimy froob wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:46 am suns are 35-18 since they got healthy. i think all the optimistic wolves talks is whistling past the graveyard until they show they can beat this team. hopefully that's today.
And the Wokves have pretty much the same identical record in that span. Not like Phoenix is 45-8 in that span. They had some terrible losses in there as well
aztimberwolves

Post by aztimberwolves »

BBG wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:29 am I haven't let myself buy into the idea that the wolves can win. I haven't seen it in 2 decades. Sure, I see a path to victory but wins don't happen here.

Suns in 6.

But, if we can win today and out scheme what they did to us in 3 games, I'll let myself believe
Obviously the old adage about game 1 being important is so overused. But in this series, i really think whoever wins todays game will eventually win the series.

If we can somehow punch the Suns in the face today, they have not responded well to that all season.
shoteh

Post by shoteh »

Suns win first 3, finchy benches kat for naz, we win 4 straight. winna winna chicken dinna

If I could write the narrative.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Dane Moore
@DaneMooreNBA
What hasn't Phoenix seen from you guys in the first three games?

With a laugh, Finch said: "Well, they haven't seen defense or shot-making, good offense or rebounding. They haven't seen much. They've done a really good job of taking us out of our game. We've gotten off to poor starts each time and that's kinda set the tone for the game, we've chased the game. When you're chasing the game, you have to do whatever you think to get back into it. They've done a great job, all credit to em. But we gotta be way better than those performances."
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

I’m DVR’ing the game, no spoilers please
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Cans!
Slim Shady

Post by Slim Shady »

Wolves chat, are you here?